Why won't my crank pulley come off? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

oh ya...it's a total loss. Cutting, yes. Good idea on driving it apart with at wedge. I just want to try and not damage the crank if it is not already. Now if it will just stop raining. Smart enough to put it in the shop before starting this adventure....nope.

Still been working away with no success. I've tried air, heat, what seems like a gallon of blaster, hitting it with both a dead blow and 2#....top and bottom, side to side, tried hitting it from the back, won't budge past where it is hung up. I even tried talking nice to it only to resort back to profanity. All I have managed to do is separate the crank pulley completely from the back of the HB. ( Is the HB the steel core and the 2 groove pulley, or just the steel core that goes onto the crankshaft?) Im now thinking about cutting the pulley off so I can get better hits from the back of the HB with a 2x4, or piece of steel pipe, and mallet. If that does not work I am considering cutting the HB steel to weaken it, putting on my puller, and trying to create just a little bit of space so it can clear the mangled mess inside. Anyway, had not posted in a while and wanted to update. Thanks again for all the suggestions. I will let you know when I finally get the f*##er off, and how I did it. Not that it will be anything glamorous, trust me.
Silly to ask w/ all the beating you’ve done but you did try just beating it back ON? Then try turning it side to side to align the key out of its most definitely sheared position...

After about two weeks of banging, tapping, pulling, cussing, and finally cutting....I got it off. And, as things like this go (at least for me), I'm a little embarrassed at what I finally figured out. The crankshaft nut had sheared off inside the pulley core. I thought the nut came off awfully easy based on what I had read, and looked a bit odd after I got it off. I had to cut the harmonic balancer off in chunks, and then nip away at the pulley core to get enough access to the remainder of the nut so I could grab it with channel locks and get it off. Yes, I bashed by fingers more than once. Crankshaft snout looks good, and the key is still intact except for a small nick where I hit it with the dremel. Going to order a new nut and pulley key ( already have a used HB and pulley, timing cover gasket, and front seal), then start putting it back together. Anything else recommended to take care of while I have basically the front of the motor disassembled? Water pump is new, and I'm planning to replace the hoses. Thanks again for all the help and suggestions! Hopefully have Mildred (the old blue hair) back on the road soon.
snout.JPG
shear.JPG

After about two weeks of banging, tapping, pulling, cussing, and finally cutting....I got it off. And, as things like this go (at least for me), I'm a little embarrassed at what I finally figured out. The crankshaft nut had sheared off inside the pulley core. I thought the nut came off awfully easy based on what I had read, and looked a bit odd after I got it off. I had to cut the harmonic balancer off in chunks, and then nip away at the pulley core to get enough access to the remainder of the nut so I could grab it with channel locks and get it off. Yes, I bashed by fingers more than once. Crankshaft snout looks good, and the key is still intact except for a small nick where I hit it with the dremel. Going to order a new nut and pulley key ( already have a used HB and pulley, timing cover gasket, and front seal), then start putting it back together. Anything else recommended to take care of while I have basically the front of the motor disassembled? Water pump is new, and I'm planning to replace the hoses. Thanks again for all the help and suggestions! Hopefully have Mildred (the old blue hair) back on the road soon.
View attachment 2689006View attachment 2689007
That’s wild...

CONGRATULATIONS!

That's a relief, odd that the nut had sheared off like that.

How many miles on the engine? I would consider front Main bearing seal replacement, maybe take off the oilpan and also inspect and replace oilpan seal.

What powertool was originally used that busted/sheared that giant nut?

No power. I just used a long breaker bar with a 46mm socket and it came right off. I assume the nut being sheared off is one reason the harmonic balancer eventually failed at the rivet connections, or a combination of both. The motor has about 240,000 on it according to the odometer. I bought the rig about 2 years ago. Drove it home to Iowa from West Texas, no issues. Lived it's life before that in CO. The PO had done quite a bit of work to it, mostly cosmetic and suspension stuff, but some mechanical like desmog, and it is in better shape than the previous two 60's I have had. PO replaced oil pan gasket and it still looks solid. It was/is leaking around the timing chain cover. Have a new tc gasket and crankshaft seal.

Can't really tell from you picture, but that doesn't look like the correct 2F nut.

Yours is a late 2F the Crank Pulley Nut changes part #s at 4/85. I don't know the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom