Crank pulley wobble (harmonic balancer) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Beehanger

SILVER Star
Threads
Notcing my FJ60 2F crank pulley has a slight wobble to it (newly rebuilt engine, just installed the crank pulley for the second time after recent rebuilt motor install)

Is this amount of wobble normal? see video

I also noticed the engine is sitting at a slight angle to the left, and am wondering if this is normal? previous owner decided it was a good idea to ram the front cross member onto a rock and bend it -- so the transfer case was always sitting a bit off kilter. it might be mating up better the tranny because its off angle, but just wanted to be sure this isn't causing greater issues ie CRANK pulley wobble...

video::

Thanks,
Dan

Normal or OK? Probably normal depending on mileage, and survivable, but not within specs.

When you say rebuilt, did that include new crankshaft bearings, balancing (or at least checking) the crankshaft, and checking the wear on the bearing caps? If the harmonic balancer is good, the crank isn't; it's either the crankshaft out of round/balance, or the bearings not holding it inline.

I have an 80 that has this problem. I can't say it had it before, but I know it has it now, after I refreshed the head, and replaced the balancer (at the same time). It wobbles just enough to see. I've never been in the bottom end, so I can't say for sure what it's worth, but if I had rebuilt the bottom end, and had that wobble, I'd be pissed.

2Fs are way more forgiving than the 1FZ-FE, but a loose, or at least out of round, crankshaft rotation isn't good for the lower end.

FWIW, if you post a youtube video, and then copy the URL, you can post that into the window here, and eliminate the dropbox shuffle.

Normal or OK? Probably normal depending on mileage, and survivable, but not within specs.

When you say rebuilt, did that include new crankshaft bearings, balancing (or at least checking) the crankshaft, and checking the wear on the bearing caps? If the harmonic balancer is good, the crank isn't; it's either the crankshaft out of round/balance, or the bearings not holding it inline.

I have an 80 that has this problem. I can't say it had it before, but I know it has it now, after I refreshed the head, and replaced the balancer (at the same time). It wobbles just enough to see. I've never been in the bottom end, so I can't say for sure what it's worth, but if I had rebuilt the bottom end, and had that wobble, I'd be pissed.

2Fs are way more forgiving than the 1FZ-FE, but a loose, or at least out of round, crankshaft rotation isn't good for the lower end.

FWIW, if you post a youtube video, and then copy the URL, you can post that into the window here, and eliminate the dropbox shuffle.
The pulley might not be "good".

I considered replacing it because it had a speedy sleeve on it, but instead I just replaced the speedy sleeve. There;s only half the threads left on it, as the other half had worn out. Could this be the problem?

They did a full rebuild on the engine, they gave me new bearing caps and balanced the crank

I think you have your answer. I'd look for a new pulley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom