Why does my oil light come on all the time? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My oil light comes on, sometimes only 1000 miles after an oil change! It doesn't use oil to make a difference, maybe .5 quart or so between 3K mile changes :rolleyes:

It's just annoying me to death :mad: What gives? I check the oil regularly. Anyone else have this problem?

Jody.

Hi Jody,

I assume you are talking about your 93 FZJ80? The light indicates a low oil level in the oil pan. If you are sure that your oil level is correct you may have a failing sensor.
The part number is 89491-60010 and it lists for $312.23. It is also possible that the wires leading to it may have a problem.

Dan.

CruiserDan,

How far down does the oil have to get to "normally" actuate the oil light?

I'll check into the wires as soon as I can though...

Jody.

Some say about a quart low, I've filled mine a quart low during an oil change to see if mine would come on and it did not. I have had it come on during an extreme nose-down descent in the Rio Puerco. (spooky steep). I guess it could vary from engine to engine. I would guess anywhere between 1 to 2 quarts low at the max. If the level were close to low, some sudden movements (like a fast turn) would flash the light momentarily.

The oil sensor float on the Toyota Previa van needed to be replaced, at least that is what the used car dealer said. The low oil light was on. I removed it and it has a float that slides on a shaft. It would get stuck on the shaft. I sanded the shaft with fine sand paper till the float would slide on the shaft. Cleaned it up and installed. Worked fine after that.
I would assume that the floats are about the same on the Previa and 1FZ, C-Dan???

Kurt,

The part numbers are different but the function is the same. Your fix would certainly be worth a try before the billfold comes out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom