WHY DID YOU... BUY YOUR HUNDY? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The LC will become a toy. On demand ride share will be there for everyone.

Oh and another reason I was on the Mud forum a bunch before I bought mine, thanks Mud!

I totaled my 08 v8 4runner, loved that truck. But it was a bit tight when it was more than just me and the wife and the dog. After the wreck I started looking for a clean southern TLC, found one in Dallas (I live in NC) flew out and drove it home with a smile on my face the whole way.

Love the size as many have mentioned, not too big, not too small. Can easily take 4 grown men and their gear hunting or to the beach, mountains, etc. Super capable and smooth at the same time, for me it checked all the boxes of what I need, the only downside is MPG, but it isn't the end of the world.

Been loyal to TEQ since I picked up my 40 in ‘85 so it was natural to add the 100 when I bought a cabin in Idaho. It’s my fishin rig!

9C5CF73C-FA02-4B01-8E3A-4522C7983F47.jpeg

First truck was a '97 Tacoma 4x4 LX Ext. Cab
Second truck was a '01 4Runner
.....lots of cars.....
Returned to my roots & bought a 100-series after selling my tuned B8S4 last winter.

And now, every drive, I experience what feels like a '97 Taco dressed up in a tux.

I love it. MPG's be damned!

Last edited:
I bought mine because it was cheap, weighed a ton (or 3), would keep my kids safe, and it's a Land Cruiser. 20 years old, and it's still a "modern" looking car.

Long time Toyota 4wd owner. Had a 1988 p/u and 4Runner. The 40 was getting to be too much for long road trips (no top, heater, radio, etc). 4Runners was too small. I wanted to be able to sleep comfortably in the back with everything closed (and not diagonally and fetal position like the 4Runner).

As a Land Rover guy I was on my way to buy a 2007 full sized Range Rover super charged because my Discovery was to rusted to be safe with the kids. Body mounts were gone.
Found my Land Cruiser by accident. One owner dealer serviced.
Called my insurance agent, cheaper than the RR.
Looked up parts, cheaper than the RR.
Checked MPG, lower than the RR.
Checked reliability...better than the RR.
Checked DIY repairs...easier than the RR.
Priced tires...cheaper and better selection than the RR.
So I bought the Land Cruiser.
A week later drove past the RR and it's air suspension was flat (i was going to buy it from a guy on my route, he's a realtor and drove it for work)
3 months after that he had a 200 series parked at his office, sold the RR and bought a Land Cruiser.

My Land Cruiser does not care what gas I use, how hot or cold it is, if I let it warm up in the winter or not, how hard or gentle I drive it...tap the key, drop it in gear and it goes without a single complaint.

I like to tinker, but my truck needs nothing. I am saving a ton of money buy not having to do anything to my truck. I put gas in it and drive it. It's actually kinda boring that way. But I do love it.

i needed a vehicle that could do three things:

a) Shuttle prepubescent teenagers to school activities and long family trips
b) present an appearance consistent with that of an upstanding citizen in my local community.
c) provide ample room for my gun running activities and haul copious amounts of ammo.

As luck would have it, the LC does all three.

It's part of automotive history... a halo car that I always wanted... It commands attention to enthusiasts ... Plus I love being part of the LC community...

Owning a Land Cruiser is like being part of a secret society, those who know the value, reliability and history give you respect.

Those who don't know, you give a smart ass smirk to when they say "you paid how much for a 15yr old suv??!!!" as they feel smart climbing into their Tahoe that costs the same but is 12yrs newer and always breaking down.

After putting about 100k miles on 2 3rd gen 4runners, I bought an 80 series. Drove it (slowly) for a year and someone offered me an amount I couldn't turn down.

Then I Drove the LX470 that I now own. Plenty of power, space, utility, and it keeps my buns warm in the winter. Haven't looked back.

I missed out on a perfect 60 in the late 90s after college. That began the on/off again interest. Mostly off as I never got serious about them until a buddy bought a 100 20 years later after I went through a lot of VWs. He said I needed one. His boss was selling one, 2 owner for a great price. Buddy looked at it, said he would buy it if I didn't. Bought it and drove it home from Oregon to Colorado through Wyoming's I90 blowing snow on New Years Day. There was no other vehicle I would want to be in that situation. I'm Sold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom