Why are parts so hard to come by? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So last year after smoking a deer at 80mph, it took two months to rebuild the front end and replace the airbags and everything else associated. Much of that time due to waiting on parts. After replacing the windshield today, the shop damaged the interior pillar trim cover (the fuzzy gray piece that the oh s*** handle attaches to). They were able to order one, but there were only two in the country and it's going to take a couple weeks to get. Anyone else experienced this? Does Toyota just not have a good inventory of replacement parts? Why?

I think the days of warehouses full of duplicate parts is long gone, especially for Toyota. I'm sure I'll butcher this, but philosophically Toyota has an on-demand approach to parts, keep one or two relatively local, then make more and ship to replenish as they run out. For the LC, I'm sure the total parts out there is quite small, especially here in the US since demand for those parts is probably very low.

Edit: Toyota calls it "just-in-time" inventory management.

Last edited:
I think the issue would be with Land Cruiser specific parts vs common parts. For example, most things for the 3UR should be in abundant supply. Rebuilding the front of the trukc seems like that might take a while and I would imagine with it being insurance they'd be leaning on used stock which will also be hard for the 200.

I know of a 2020 Rav 4 that is in the shop for major front end damage. They're quoting 6 months due to parts shortage. They can sell more Rav4s than they can produce and they're not pulling any parts out of the supply chain for spares.

Which brings up another point. When it was all said and done, the cost to fix it last year was right on the verge of being considered totalled. If parts are in such low supply, I think they should've totalled it and then they would have some spare parts, from the area that wasn't wrecked, to provide for less damaged vehicles. And I could be driving a newer LC now too. :D

That's nothing compared to waiting for a new bumper for your Maserati. .. Good thing it was the other person's fault.

Point is there are not a lot of these in the USA so the parts are also slim.

Its all about the insurance companies ... none of them are on OUR side.. and they drag %$%%^ out as long as possible. They are like politicians - Corrupt and worthless!

Which brings up another point. When it was all said and done, the cost to fix it last year was right on the verge of being considered totalled. If parts are in such low supply, I think they should've totalled it and then they would have some spare parts, from the area that wasn't wrecked, to provide for less damaged vehicles. And I could be driving a newer LC now too. :D

That would have been better. Did you push to have it totaled? If not, you can still request your insurance co to send you an amount for diminished value.

Honestly, it's not just the land cruiser. 2 months ago I needed a front brake caliper for my 2016 tundra. I live near a large city. Neither of the 2 largest dealers in my area had a caliper. Had to order one. That really surprised me.

I think the days of warehouses full of duplicate parts is long gone, especially for Toyota. I'm sure I'll butcher this, but philosophically Toyota has an on-demand approach to parts, keep one or two relatively local, then make more and ship to replenish as they run out. For the LC, I'm sure the total parts out there is quite small, especially here in the US since demand for those parts is probably very low.

Edit: Toyota calls it "just-in-time" inventory management.

You're spot on. Toyota pioneered the Six Sigma concept of production and manufacturing. Anything excess is considered waste and eliminated.

That would have been better. Did you push to have it totaled? If not, you can still request your insurance co to send you an amount for diminished value.

In most (if not all) States that allow diminished value claims, it does not include payment from your own insurer for at fault or comprehensive claims (i.e. deer strike). It only applies when someone else damages your car, and that person's insurance pays the claim...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom