Why 100-series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wheel the s*** out of my 200 and it beats my old triple locked 100 hands down. It’s a damn near unbreakable platform.

if I could drop my 5.7 from my tundra in my 100 series, id be golden! thats the only ling I miss when I drive the handy. also my 3 year old only wants to ride in the hundy. she'll downright cry if she has to be in anything besides the "grey car" also, the 5.7 gets better milage in my tundra than the handy does. I miss that part too.

Only thing better about the 200 is the front suspension design.
200 series front diffs across the world are laughing their arses off over this one…

200 series front diffs across the world are laughing their arses off over this one…
I mean, I know you switched to a 200.... But other than getting rid of torsion bars, nothing else on a 200 interests me. It's not about affordability or anything, each time I drive a 200 I still like my 100 more.

You also wheel extremely hard, so maybe you broke one, but I regeared and locked the front and no issues so far.

I mean, I know you switched to a 200.... But other than getting rid of torsion bars, nothing else on a 200 interests me. It's not about affordability or anything, each time I drive a 200 I still like my 100 more.

You also wheel extremely hard, so maybe you broke one, but I regeared and locked the front and no issues so far.
I still love 100s and I’m constantly amazed at there capability on the trail. There is a lot more going on than just the front suspension though. For example if the 100 had the more sophisticated atrac with mts thst the 200 has I doubt a front diff would ever get blown🤷🏻‍♂️

I have both and love them for different reasons. I do find myself going back to the 100 if the task involves hauling stuff in the back. The rear storage with seats folded up is definitely limited. Seats remove and it’s much better. The drive with the 100 provides more feedback. I like them both! Both of mine are the LX variety and the 200 seats in the LX are better. Good luck, stick with your 100, it will be a fun journey!

The vehicles we had prior to this were a 17' Tacoma TRD OR that we purchased new and then a GX460. Both were lifted on 33's etc and we never went a lot of places that we wanted to check out because worried about paint on a $40K+ vehicle. Got rid of the GX for a 100 series land cruiser and love it so much more than the GX or the Tacoma. Here in the NW if I want to see where an overgrown road that no one has been down in a year goes.......I just drive down it. No worries about the pin stripes......or my muddy dog........or my 3 year old spilling crackers.......or....

I could have easily afforded a 200 series but why? Just to be stressed out and paranoid over dings and scratches? Also to me the 100 is more modern/reliable than the aging 80 series which works great on long road trips but its older and less expensive than a 200 so I dont worry about it as much. Perfect off road/adventure vehicle to me.

JMHO, I'm a converted Jeep guy. Loved my YJ but the more you add the more problems you get. They break, CEL always a thing. Was always looking for a LC and finally pulled the trigger and sold mine. No matter what series you have it will down right push the limits. Before I bought her, I wanted to run the same trails as my Jeep. SOLD! Looking forward to beating my LC on new trails and adventures.
They are amazing rigs...,

20220809_181308.jpg

20171209_122023.jpg

JMHO, I'm a converted Jeep guy. Loved my YJ but the more you add the more problems you get. They break, CEL always a thing. Was always looking for a LC and finally pulled the trigger and sold mine. No matter what series you have it will down right push the limits. Before I bought her, I wanted to run the same trails as my Jeep. SOLD! Looking forward to beating my LC on new trails and adventures.
They are amazing rigs...,

View attachment 3082609

View attachment 3082610
Legit thought you had a garbage can swing out on the rear bumper for a second there...

I’m a relatively new owner of a 100-series. This is my first Toyota. I’m in the process of restoring it: removing and treating rust, rebuilding suspension components, engine maintenance and interior refresh. I keep asking myself if I should have just bought a newer 200-series. I assume the cost is a big driver for many choosing the 100 series; however, are there any other reasons to go for a 100-series? I’m looking for something to remind myself to stick with it. Thank you all for your thoughts.
Grew up in South America & Africa (Parents in the military), there was always a 'running battle' between who made the most reliable "SUV's" in that realm. Land Rovers (109 & 88") & Land Cruisers. Got to work on both, the LC's were always more reliable & the parts were more accessible. I learned to drive their old sticks & the LC went 25-30mph faster than the LR's w/o so much as any kind of 'breaking a sweat' or strain, fuel consumption. Here's a tidbit....the UN has purchased & has on the 'roads'[loosely used to describe them in some 3rd world countries] over 10,000 of the LC's, mostly FJ100's & 200's.

Back in the States, Had a former co-worker w/a 1995 predecessor model, he used as daily driver as a R/E Broker. I got to drive his on a few occasions in the early '00's, it was Impressive. He said he'd never own anything else ever again, besides an LC.

Then last summer, We found one (not cheap) '02 w/81k mi. on it. I drove it, was like showroom new condition, garage kept, perfect records, nearly no rust, factory undercoated, about the only thing it initially needed was new wiper blades (& the whole 100k mile Maint. Trip, timing belt, h2o pump, serp,, cams & crank seals, tensioners, idler pulley & thermo. took 7 hrs & flushed coolant at same time(all done & driveable again in 1 day, not bad). Only other issues in last 60k mi have been front pads & total Air Conditioning system overhaul (just finished). Aside regular oil changes & filters same time, these things are virtually bomb proof. When I have to take care of the A/C system once every 22 yrs, that's my kind of SUV. Everything else (w/manuals) is simple. I bought as wife wanted a nice, safe, reliable SUV. (& the fact that it rides better than an equivalent Escalade or Mercedes SUV, of 2020+ vintage for a sliver of their price, didn't hurt either? We've purchased roof racks, updated winch bumper w/cattle guard & rr bumper w/swing out brackets for spare & 2 jerry cans. other mods have been far more minimal like hood bugflector & window visors, other small touch ups on the inside. I bought an '03 Tundra after our great experience w/the FJ100. Needs lots more work 'catching up' w/192k+ mi. at purchase, but still super reliable and not formerly abused.

Here's what "SOLD" me on the FJ100's: Downloaded an 'app' to search for them, on CL. It started off in Calif., found 1 in WA., '98, only wanted $6.9k for it, garage kept, looked gorgeous, inside & out, said 'daily driver' & "Lots of Miles Left on this Great Vehicle"....I searched & searched the ad, nowhere did he mention miles. picture 24, OF 24 showed the cluster...798k Miles!
I was officially IN LOVE.
Ranger, take care of IT, and IT will Take Care of, & likely Outlive, You!
That's My Plan!

I really like my 100 but man what I’d do to have that 5.7L in it. That would be perfect size with perfect engine!
I know 'people', who could make that happen? Of course Your mpg's Will be 1/2 that of a Corvette, but You'd def. be a badazz in the FJ100 community? (not me mind You, the most exotic I've ever been is a 2.4l Toy Celica engine & 5 spd swap in to an MGA, but there are folks round these parts that put Caddy engines in Fieros and 350v8's in Miatas? Getting the 5.7 in an FJ100, & sync'ed up computer wise(probably the harder part of the whole setup)is a walk in the park for some 'skilled operators'?
Yep, in exactly the same boat. Crucially the 100 was "just buy it" (way cheaper years ago, not as easy now) instead of "finance it".

Mods are more fun than car payments.
Amen & Amen! Mods Indeed Are!

is the NLA of parts really starting to be an issue with the 100 series? Luckily i haven't had to replace much since getting mine last year, but that worries me. My 22 year old 100 feels better than most modern cars to me
I wouldn't be 'sweating' for at least a few more years? That was also wife's concern in purchasing our '02 last summer, especially w/all the "Supply Chain" Concerns....A.T.T. there were 100,000+ parts listed (NIB, not 'used, 'recycled') on Ebay for Fj100's/LX470's. I've purchased probably 5k in expected spares, because we're going to be driving our little bad boy for a Very Long Time, promise. Whenever I learn of something "NLA", I go buy 3. Soon I'm going to need an additional garage bay for 'parts'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom