Who was Wilson? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The man, the myth, the legend.. and his famous switch. Who was he?

You mean who is he...lol.

Alive and well, living on the west coast of Canada, doing his thing.

Cheers :beer::beer:

gb

I am Wilson. Ok, I'm Ciaran Wilson and as my good friend Greg B posted above, the original link to how the Wilson Switch came to be.

Back in 1998, I was a technician at Granville Toyota in Vancouver BC. I had bought my 1982 BJ60 (which I still own and drive daily) from the original owner a year earlier. After working on them, I realized I really liked Landcruisers. One day the glow timer in my truck failed and stayed on, blowing all the glow plugs. I didn't fully understand the glow timer circuitry at this point and just replaced them with new factory plugs. The failed timer instantly blew my new, expensive set of glow plugs too, of course without warranty, and by this point I was not too happy. I was talking that day with Jim from Jim's Fuel Injection just down the road that day and he said he heard of Landcruiser glow plug timers being problematic and suggested instead of replacing, maybe finding a way to try to bypass it manually. I looked at the electrical wiring diagram and tried to figure out the least invasive way to modify the factory system with a push button type switch. I then did the mod to my truck, put in a 3rd set of plugs and have glowed happily ever and still do with the same switch to this day. It didn't get called a Wilson switch until a few years later after I left Toyota to run my own shop and while we were working on Greg's BJ60, we we did the glow mod to his truck when he asked about posting the procedure to Mud. I said sure! And the rest takes over from the thread above.

Cheers and happy Landcruisering!

Last edited:
I am Wilson. Ok, I'm Ciaran Wilson and as my good friend Greg B posted above, the original link to how the Wilson Switch came to be.

Back in 1998, I was a technician at Granville Toyota in Vancouver BC. I had bought my 1982 BJ60 (which I still own and drive daily) from the original owner a year earlier. After working on them, I realized I really liked Landcruisers. One day the glow timer in my truck failed and stayed on, blowing all the glow plugs. I didn't fully understand the glow timer circuitry at this point and just replaced them with new factory plugs. The failed timer instantly blew my new, expensive set of glow plugs too, of course without warranty, and by this point I was not too happy. I was talking that day with Jim from Jim's Fuel Injection just down the road that day and he said he heard of Landcruiser glow plug timers being problematic and suggested instead of replacing, maybe finding a way to try to bypass it manually. I looked at the electrical wiring diagram and tried to figure out the least invasive way to modify the factory system with a push button type switch. I then did the mod to my truck, put in a 3rd set of plugs and have glowed happily ever and still do with the same switch to this day. It didn't get called a Wilson switch until a few years later after I left Toyota to run my own shop and was working on Greg's BJ60 doing the glow mod to his truck when he asked about posting the procedure to Mud. I said sure! And the rest takes over from the thread above.

Thank you for your valuable contribution to Land Cruiser knowledge and lore...

:cheers:

Hahah.. he walks amongst us. Gold :) Cheers for posting.

Back in 1998, I was a technician at Granville Toyota in Vancouver BC. I had bought my 1982 BJ60 (which I still own and drive daily) from the original owner a year earlier. After working on them, I realized I really liked Landcruisers. One day the glow timer in my truck failed and stayed on, blowing all the glow plugs. I didn't fully understand the glow timer circuitry at this point and just replaced them with new factory plugs. The failed timer instantly blew my new, expensive set of glow plugs too, of course without warranty, and by this point I was not too happy. I was talking that day with Jim from Jim's Fuel Injection just down the road that day and he said he heard of Landcruiser glow plug timers being problematic and suggested instead of replacing, maybe finding a way to try to bypass it manually. I looked at the electrical wiring diagram and tried to figure out the least invasive way to modify the factory system with a push button type switch. I then did the mod to my truck, put in a 3rd set of plugs and have glowed happily ever and still do with the same switch to this day. It didn't get called a Wilson switch until a few years later after I left Toyota to run my own shop and while we were working on Greg's BJ60, we we did the glow mod to his truck when he asked about posting the procedure to Mud. I said sure! And the rest takes over from the thread above.

you are iconic for me with this simple fixing way

When Ciaron put the BT13 in my BJ70 it came with the push button Wilson switch on the dash. It has worked flawlessly ever since. I have wondered where the estimable Mr. Wilson went after south Langley .

Mel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom