who knows their 40s? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
-- since my 80 doesn't get driven daily (especially in the winter -- SALT!!), i was looking at this reasonably priced 40 --

-- it's a '72 though, and the owner says it's got its oddities (roll-bars mounted to the fiberglass, etc., etc.) --

http://davidsadinsky.com/landcruiser/

thanks!

eric :D

Eric,

I would think that the LAST vehicle you would want to operate in a salt environment would be a 40. They rust sitting still in the desert ::)

Thanks for this, Dan -- I don't want to preserve it, I just want to run it and have room for my dogs in the back --

:)

eric

for MN, it appears to be in good shape...yer stuck with an anemic F motor, a irritating 3-speed tranny that sucks in town, and 4-wheel drum brakes that are only nice when adjusted weekly.

Not what I would choose to drive every day.

oh, and if that's a newer Rancho suspension, you might get by...the older ones were 3 leaf packs and VERY rough riding...VERY. Like, cross a bridge and tires lost contact rough....dangerously rough....

I could emphasize it more.... ;)

i love that throttle return spring in the pic4.

:)

I could be wrong (but I'd deny it) :flipoff2:, that looks like the same pos that's been on ebay like 10 times in the last 12 mos. Dude, even at 600 - RUN. :flipoff2:

I owned a '76 40 up in Syracuse years ago. I loved it for what it was, but it was not a daily driver unless you were only going a few miles on local roads. It was much better with that heavy top removed than with it on--actually felt "nimble" with the top removed, though that won't be much fun in the winter.

If Toyota put ANY rust protection of these trucks back then, you could have fooled me. As Eric said, they rust just sitting there. Wonder why that diamond plate is at the bottom of his doors, and why did he put the fiberglass kit on? I suspect there's plenty of rust on what remains of the frame.

Rebuilt engine?! Sounds like he replaced the cap, rotor and plugs and is calling it rebuilt? Maybe he had a valve job done. Oh...and wasn't that a big 'ol oil spot under the front end on one of those pictures, right where he parks it?

Personally, the 80 is the better ride and should hold up with the salt as long as you keep it clean.

Hey, all that said, I was driving thru Lambertville here in NJ last night, and saw a very sweet looking beige 40 for sale on the corner...it did make me want to check it out for summer use/fun. I didn't see a spec of rust on it, nor was there any of that diamond plate. Could have been a glass kit, but it still looked nice...decided I'd better not stop or I'd be in trouble.

[quote author=Scamper link=board=2;threadid=4511;start=msg33989#msg33989 date=1061552505]
As Eric said, they rust just sitting there.
[/quote]

::)

Yeah, and I've already got one of those in my driveway ('71 Vdub)... :D

Um...Tom,

It was I that that said that. ;)

That's what I was replying to Dan. Just wasn't much to quote... :D

I see Tom,

Well at least we both got a couple of pads out of it ;)

"220 221, Whatever it takes" Michael Keaton, MR mom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom