Builds White Lightning's Diesel Conversion - A 1994 T100 OM606 swap (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Really well! It'll actually start building a tiny bit of boost as I'm slipping the clutch to get going in my uphill driveway. Really helps it takeoff without leaving behind any smoke. I went from 30.5x10.5 bfg ats to some 31.9s at the same time as the swap so i didn't get a big fuel economy bump. Before I averaged around 21 around town. I got 22 with the bigger tires (diameter/distance accounted for) on my last tank. I was hoping for a large bump in efficiency but I guess I shouldn't complain about 22 with this tire setup.

I've been meaning to post a log comparison to show how much better this builds boost than the stock turbo. If I stomp the pedal ill definitely get some overshoot which is why I havent...need the data to look pretty haha. Ive been too lazy to tune the pid loop anymore and have just been ramping into it...which is how id normally drive anyways.

Glad to hear. It's a great fit for the 606.

The turbine and compressor in those GTD series aren't worlds more efficient than their predecessors, maybe around 5%. But 5% efficiency on those stages won't create a measurable effect on mileage. It's just makes a small difference in how hard the intercooler has to work and the spool time.

Incase you or anybody else is curious I have a 7cm he221 on my 606, I used the Benzforce kit, and in 3rd gear on my nv4500 it builds 10 psi at 2300 rpm and is at full boost by 2500 rpm(25psi). I have yet to have the truck on a dyno as I’m sure I’m missing out on some cc’s on the 603 pump. I have the fueling really conservative for now. If the dyno tuning doesn’t lower that number at least a few hundred rpm I’m going to give the 5.5cm he221 a try, as like you I’m much more interested in a low rpm spool then high rpm power as I don’t run the motor past 4,000 rpm. Loved your build thread and I hope she’s still running strong for you!

FB3475EA-7CB8-4763-9E9A-77F15D9633C4.png

Incase you or anybody else is curious I have a 7cm he221 on my 606, I used the Benzforce kit, and in 3rd gear on my nv4500 it builds 10 psi at 2300 rpm and is at full boost by 2500 rpm(25psi). I have yet to have the truck on a dyno as I’m sure I’m missing out on some cc’s on the 603 pump. I have the fueling really conservative for now. If the dyno tuning doesn’t lower that number at least a few hundred rpm I’m going to give the 5.5cm he221 a try, as like you I’m much more interested in a low rpm spool then high rpm power as I don’t run the motor past 4,000 rpm. Loved your build thread and I hope she’s still running strong for you!

View attachment 2857798
Wow, jealous of your tidy engine bay!

Finally got around to getting some logs with the new gtd2060 turbo. If you compare these to the logs with the stock turbo earlier in this thread it shows this setup gets to full boost about 500rpm sooner (1900rpm) on a 3rd gear pull from 1000rpm. It makes good useable boost as low as 1400rpm. Next steps are to look at exhaust backpressure and finally afr to really hone in on the tune.

Took the truck on an 16hr round trip out to Indiana during mid summer. It ran well and got 23_24mpg average. It did get a little warm on the long highway climbs for being so lightly loaded, I think I need to open some holes in front bumper to get some more flow across the intercooler as well as add the water pump/block circulation circuit

3rd gear Pull
3rd Gear Pull with Stats.JPG

2nd Gear Pull - boost tapers as the rpm increases to avoid overspeeding the turbo. I think i'm being conservative based on a gtd2260 compressor map I referenced.
2nd Gear Pull with Stats.JPG

Latest engine bay layout, moved the expansion tank to the battery mount instead of the engine mount to avoid the plastic shaking around
20210228_181105.jpg

Finally pulled the trigger on some new leaf springs to get rid of the terrible axle wrap the 27 year old stock springs were giving me. After some initial fitment issues (had to flip the torque leaf/military wrap to the right side) i've been very happy with the ride
20211203_120235.jpg

Truck sits with some rake now
20211217_081125.jpg

Also picked up some method wheels for it, thought it might give me some motivation to deal with the rust holes in the bed
20210409_133319.jpg

That looks fairly similar to the boost profile on old setup. You could probably get even more boost out of the sub-2000 RPM area with lower (area) VGT position, depending on how your range is calibrated. Not sure how you interpret the position (some OEM's use an opening percentage, others use the position). You can basically run the vanes at 15% open (85% closed) in that region during the transient.

I would for sure add some radiant heat shielding to that expansion tank. I've put various components/wiring in nearly the same area and you will certainly see some pretty rapid degradation of the plastic with the radiant heat. Some foil tape would do. That's one upgrade I never did - the expansion (degas) tank. I think it might help keep the system a bit cooler under hard load.

That looks fairly similar to the boost profile on old setup. You could probably get even more boost out of the sub-2000 RPM area with lower (area) VGT position, depending on how your range is calibrated. Not sure how you interpret the position (some OEM's use an opening percentage, others use the position). You can basically run the vanes at 15% open (85% closed) in that region during the transient.

I would for sure add some radiant heat shielding to that expansion tank. I've put various components/wiring in nearly the same area and you will certainly see some pretty rapid degradation of the plastic with the radiant heat. Some foil tape would do. That's one upgrade I never did - the expansion (degas) tank. I think it might help keep the system a bit cooler under hard load.
appreciate the feedback man. so on my setup, since the actuator is (unfortunately) custom mounted with a custom length actuator shaft, 69% happens to be the mechanical max of the lever (might actually be low 70s, but I wanted to err on the side of caution to avoid overloading the servo). I have been meaning to run a comparison on spool like you did with 70, 65, 60% to see the change. Right now there is a noticeable change in sound if I close the vanes at idle when testing, I assume a gauge would show significant backpressure.

Good to know on the expansion tank. I did leave the oe heat shielding on the exhaust housing so I think that probably got me through the summer but it does make sense to add some more in that area.

When do we get to see the om648 cruiser?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom