Whining noise transfer/front axle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am having trouble locating a whining noise coming from the front end. About 1 month ago while in Montana, I noticed my 1994 Land Cruiser (164kmiles) began having a whining noise when I first started rolling and it peaked in volume at about 20mph. It would go away after about 3-5 min and not return again until things were cold. It sounds like a high pitched gear or bearing whine. It does not seem to be correlated to transmission as I can have it in neutral and coast down a hill and the noise is unchanged whether I'm in drive or neutral. It's unchanged changed with Engine RPM's. The truck moving is what causes the sound.

I recently changed out the front/rear Diff and transfer case with 80w90 with Lucas oil stabilizer 4 months before.

I checked all differential and transfer case oil levels and they are good. Transmission was just serviced 2 years (20kmiles) ago by the local land cruiser shop and it was all good. Fluid in transmission is clean still.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Is it worth draining the transfer case and putting a Valvoline 75w90 in it? I haven't rebuilt the front axle or knuckles yet either so maybe it could be something in there.

Worn brakes pads or lack of lubrication on the brass bushings in the front spindles or lack of lubrication in the birfield cavity.

Are your steering knuckles dry (low on Moly grease)? IME the noise from dry spindle bushings is not usually described as a whine, more of a rumble, but is most most noticeable (initially) first drive of the day when you start out and goes away or decreases in volume after a few miles of driving.

I am having trouble locating a whining noise coming from the front end. About 1 month ago while in Montana, I noticed my 1994 Land Cruiser (164kmiles) began having a whining noise when I first started rolling and it peaked in volume at about 20mph. It would go away after about 3-5 min and not return again until things were cold. It sounds like a high pitched gear or bearing whine. It does not seem to be correlated to transmission as I can have it in neutral and coast down a hill and the noise is unchanged whether I'm in drive or neutral. It's unchanged changed with Engine RPM's. The truck moving is what causes the sound.

I recently changed out the front/rear Diff and transfer case with 80w90 with Lucas oil stabilizer 4 months before.

I checked all differential and transfer case oil levels and they are good. Transmission was just serviced 2 years (20kmiles) ago by the local land cruiser shop and it was all good. Fluid in transmission is clean still.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Is it worth draining the transfer case and putting a Valvoline 75w90 in it? I haven't rebuilt the front axle or knuckles yet either so maybe it could be something in there.
Check the following:

* Grease in the front hubs (square plug on top front side of each hub) Use Valvoline Palladium Moly grease or equivalent. Pump in about 1 tube worth in each side.
* Check wheel bearing play by lifting a wheel off the ground and checking for play in the 12:00 to 6:00 positions
* Check brakes for a rock or something caught in between the brake pads.
* Check the brake pads to make sure they are not worn out.
* Check to see if you have a brake caliper sticking and the pads are worn and squealing.

The noises you describe would point me to a dry spindle bushing or loose wheel bearings.

Thanks Everyone for your replies, and Sorry for the late response. I am just getting back onto this forum. I tried packing the knuckles again and it helped. Breaks and calipers are good. It now happens when it's mostly cold out now. My plan is to just monitor and wait for now. Once I Get the front axles rebuilt, I'll update you all on what I find. I think the suggestion that it's a wheel bearing issue is a good probability.

@Schlomer : Have you checked your front wheels (bearings) for looseness as mentioned in post #4 above:

Repeating: jack up one side of the axle at a time then grab the tire at 12 and 6 O'clock and push-pull to see if the whole thing rocks in and out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom