Whining from drivetrain - front diff ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Something in my (1999 LC100 VX 4.2TDI IFS manual transmission) is whining on upon acceleration and over run (quiter under no load). I last changed the diff oil F&R ~3000km ago, and all look perfect. However on a hunch I drained the front diff, and the magnetic drain plug now resembles a christmas tree :-/ See attached image. I guess this is the cause of the whining, and the front diff is dead. Only 300,000 km on the clock, so I'm a bit surprised. Haven't done any off-roading in since last oil change, just snow/icy roads.

/Pete

diff-shaving-tree.jpg

looks like it's time to take it apart to see see what kind of damage you got in the diff

It doesn't take much to grenade the two pinion diff. In snow, a spinning front wheel that all of a sudden gets traction will do it.

I removed the front prop shaft, locked the centre diff, refilled the front diff oil, and went for a short test run. No whining :)

So now I need to rebuild the front diff. But I looked through the procedure (link below) to isolate the diff from the road wheels too, until I get time. However what I don't understand here is that in the normal mode, the flange, snap ring and drive shaft all rotate together. So surely if the flange is removed then the drive shaft & snap ring will no long be held centred, and thus rub on the hub/housing (wearing very very quickly) ? And the same if I machine the spines out of a spare set of flanges and use them ?

http://tlcfaq.com/main/2012/06/front-drive-shaft-flange-removal-on-the-trail/

Sure I'm being stupid here, or ?

/Pete

If the front Drive shaft is removed as well as the flanges, then nothing is going to rotate except your wheel...

machined flanges...

See attached image from FSM. I guess this is from a rigid front axle, but it's the Toyota 100 series front hub locks. Instead of carrying around machined flanges, and the hassle of swapping them in situ upon a front drivetrain failure. Maybe it's possible to just grab a set of these parts, and mount them pre-emptively ? Then it's just a 2second job to jump out and (de)activate them. Might be a bit overkill in addition to a stronger ARB diff, but still. Anyone got prices for these parts, or know if they actually fit an IFS 100 ?

/Pete

dalh.png

See attached image from FSM. I guess this is from a rigid front axle, but it's the Toyota 100 series front hub locks. Instead of carrying around machined flanges, and the hassle of swapping them in situ upon a front drivetrain failure. Maybe it's possible to just grab a set of these parts, and mount them pre-emptively ? Then it's just a 2second job to jump out and (de)activate them. Might be a bit overkill in addition to a stronger ARB diff, but still. Anyone got prices for these parts, or know if they actually fit an IFS 100 ? /Pete

AVM Hubs Slee Offroad sells them $860

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom