whining engine noise (1FZ-FE DOHC Engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Dear All,

I am sorry for the missing pictures of my earlier e-mail regarding the subject concern. Anyway, I already have the pictures via the links as listed below. In the meantime, I will try to describe what really happened that led to the whining sound of my engine.

When my mechanic was done fixing the leak of my power steering pump (psp), he re-installed the said pump. After starting the engine, we noticed a knocking / whining sound from the engine and that the ATF of the psp started to leak. We immdiately stop the engine. After removing the psp, we noticed a 2-1/2" cracked on the pump housing and that the nut and gear of said psp was already lose. It seems my mechanic was so negligient that he forgot to properly tighten the nut of the psp. With the loosening of the psp nut and gear, it had caused a deep scratched on the inner side of the timing chain cover - on the opposite side of the engine oil pump. We did also realize that the deep scratch had caused the oil relief valve of the oil pump to get stuck.

After the psp crack was welded and completed the repairs on the oil relief valve, we run the engine again but only to find out that the whining sound was still there. Also, we tried running the engine after removing the power steering pump and all the belts on the pulleys, but the sound was still heard. While idler gear (that drives the psp) and crankshaft gear seems to be okay, the sound is heard loudest near the crankshaft gear.

As of now, I would like to buy a new timing chain cover and power steering pump (psp) housing. Aside from these, any suggestions and/or help from the group as to what is really causing this whining sound. Your help herewith will be most appreciated.

Thanks & regards............. jack (Cebu, Philippines)

P.S. Below are the links to my pictures.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u158/octoma/tlc-pspump.jpg
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u158/octoma/tlc-diagramtimingchaincover.jpg
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u158/octoma/tlc-timingchaincover.jpg

When you were running the engine, did you have oil pressure? If so, about how much on the factory gauge?

My other question is "where" did the nice Aluminum shavings from your timing cover end up? Hope none made it into your main bearings? I don't remember the oil flow in the 1fz-fe. I am sure others may know.

Jack,

So sorry to hear of your continued problems.

I still have a PS pump that will fit your rig. PM me if you want it.

DTaylor

Big thanks to Beowolf for linking me this thread......guess I'm tearing back into the wifes rig tomarrow.

Another mudder contacted me about this & thanks to beowolf we may have found this problem.

Observations to come.....

Ditto on the Beowulf thanks. I've got a tick/knock that started after a psp replacement. Had a whining, too, but that turned out to be a pulley (seems to be just to provide tension?) and can be easily replaced.

I missed this thread when looking for psp knock issues.

bootfoot

Mine only whines on pavement...its much happier offroad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom