Which tranny conversion is best? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am running a 350 in my 71 cruiser with stock drive train for now. I may have the option of picking up a TH350 tranny in the near future. Which tranny conversion is best for minimal off roading but good for highway and city driving? This rig is not a daily driver either, just a weekend toy. I am not sure if there is a difference between best, easiest and / or cheapest. I'd like to know all options available from Standard shift to automatic and why the option was chosen.
thanks

It all depends on your personal preferences. I hate auto's so I'll ignore that option :D:
Around town with minimal wheeling, you are probably best off with either (H41/H42) 4 spd, or Toyota 5 speed. An NV4500 would also be nice. Since you mentioned more on road than off, an SM420 or 465 wouldn't make sense considering they are clunky truck transmissions with wide-spaced gear ratios. In your situation my first choice would be a H55F 5 speed w/ split transfer because it is a smooth shifting Toyota tranny with an overdrive, and not as long as auto w/od or NV4500 trannies. Not sure if it can be adapted to a 350 or not. If that wasn't possible a Toy 4 spd to your 3 spd transfer would be my next choice.

Check out the tech pages, there are many routes you can go. If money is not a problem, I'd go with a NV4500. It will give you the benefit of an overdrive for highway use and the low first gear for crawling. The adapters and parts can add up though. I was going to have to spend about $2K for everything I needed (not installed of course). You could go with a 700R auto, as it also has an overdrive, but I heard many horror stories. Both of these options are long and leave you with short drivelines, which is bad. I just bought a ranger overdrive to put in front of my 4 speed. Its definitly no nv4500, but gives me the overdrive I need and I got it for a whole lot less.

I am partial to 'stock' OEM parts - and am currently having a H55F installed in my '87 FJ60. This is a very nice tranny, and full syncro, with a lower low and a overdrive 5th. Tranny costs about $2K new. I will have the original (very nice) 4 speed for sale how not much money, if you are interested. I am retaining the split TCase.

Mike S

If you run the 3 or 4 spd manual your getting 1:1 in high gear...lotsa people run them behind V8's and are ok with them. Thats why im not against a Th350 it's 1:1 in high gear and although its not as low on the bottom as either, you do get the driveablitiy in town. No question the nv4500 or the h55f is the mack daddy but so is the cost. If your not concerned about crawling gears and you dont have the 5spd manual cash either keep the original transmission or goto the th350 for ease of conversion. The 700r4 is great for overdrive but the added length is a hassle (nothing some more cash cant fix). In my view its all about how much effort and cash you want to put into it and what you want from the truck.
Keep the flames....its just my 2 cents ;)

thanks for the info, I hate to ask stupid questions but, what does the H model tranny come out of.

The H55F comes out of ... a Landcruiser among other things. It is standard equipment on many TLCs, but NOT in the US.

Mike S

The H41 tranny is likely in your '75 if it's a factory 4 speed! Check the VIN plate in the engine area. Common on '40's, '55's, '60's with 4 speeds. H55 is similar to the H41/H42 as far as bolt patterns are concerned, but it's about 3" longer due to the overdrive gear.

Non usa post '84 FJ60's. H/BJ60 too maybe?
Thats why they go in 85 or later 60's so easily, Toyota installed a spacer for the USA 60s of those years so that they could put in either H42's or H55's without having to make any other changes.

[quote author=cruiser_guy link=board=1;threadid=6490;start=msg52666#msg52666 date=1066615146] H55 is similar to the H41/H42 as far as bolt patterns are concerned, but it's about 3" longer due to the overdrive gear.
[/quote]
This should mean that any adapter for a chebby 350 to H42 4 spd should work with an H55, correct? I've never heard of anyone doing that but it would make a sweet street/highway/light wheeling driving combo.

I gathered the dis-like for an automatic, (I can't say I disagree), however, I'm selling my adapter kit for a 700R4 and can get you a tranny built cheap if you want to do it. The kit is almost brand new. I decided to put a chevy case and axles under my rig.

Just a thought.

Should be sweet - either the four speed or the five speed. The late four speed and the H55F will both work with the split TCase, which is supposed to be stronger and have a lower ratio than the 3 speed case or the early four speed model.

Mike S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom