Which diesel to put in my 45lpb... (1 Viewer)

Which diesel to put in the 45lpb

• Cummins 4BT

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Toyota 1HDT

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Toyota 12HT

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Toyota 1HZ

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

frismanis

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.shayahealth.com
I have to make a decision soon about which diesel to put in the 45. Here is my list of choices:

Cummins 4BT
Toyota 1HDT
Toyota 12HT
Toyota 1HZ

Cummins is fresh from the factory... well factory rebuilt. All Toyotas are used.

Guess I could make this a poll.

i know very little about the diesels, but i would want the 1hdt since it's the newest and most powerful of the toyotas. install is probably more complicated, but you didn't give any criteria.

I dropped the truck at Proffitt's on Friday for a full frame-off resto-build. These are the diesel options I have to choose from. I was originally going to go with the Ram Jet 350, but I changed my mind.

From what I've been reading a lot of people like the 12HT, and that they are pretty bomb proof. Also, if I go with the 1HZ it would get an aftermarket turbo kit.

Just looking at specs the 1HD-T does look like the better choice, but I wanted to see if anyone had reasons to go with one of the other options.

i'm in the process of building up my 45lv with a 2h diesel. it came down to the 2h and 1hz mostly based on price. i chose the 2h because it was cheaper, closer and i can use stock motor mounts since it was put in the 45 frame from the factory. it doesn't sound like price or the complexity of the install is a concern to you, so i would definitely go with the 1hdt. that's gonna be a sweet rig-how long will it take him?

p.s. keep in mind i have no experience with any of these engines. i'm speaking only from what i've read.

how long will it take him?

They mentioned it will take the better part of a year. It is entirely possible that I'll pick it up for the '09 Cruise Moab. I stopped driving it about 15 months ago, so at least I have some space in my garage again. :D

Because vintage FJ45's (lwb, swb, and lv's) are so limited and precious, it is not desireable to cut and weld on their frames and bodies. Each time a vintage, meaning 1963-67, is cut and welded on, it is no longer the gem of history. I recommend only cutting and welding on a vintage cruiser that is rusted or beat up badly.

I voted 12HT because, IIRC, 12HT is a bolt in option, as is the 2H, its predecessor. 1HZ/1HDT will require cutting and welding. Its your rig, do what suits you and you desire. Just remember that a point in history is in your hands to preserve. Every fj45 that is cut and welded is one that is no longer vintage, IMHO. If can't be retrofitted to factory original, I vote against it.

I guess I am a purist.

I voted 12HT because, IIRC, 12HT is a bolt in option, as is the 2H, its predecessor.

For what it is worth, the 12HT is not a bolt in. It requires new frame mounts. Only the H and 2H are "bolt in"

throw the 2H in there and put a turbo on it....im toying with the idea of a 3B for my '78....or if i can convince my dad to sacrifice the 60 to the cause (not gunna happen unless she dies a entirely natural death of FeO2-rust) sounds like it should be quite the cruiser though when its done

What about the 2.8 4 cylinder International diesel engine? You can buy them new and Advanced adapters makes it easy to put any transmission behind it. This diesel is all mechanical so no stupid computers to play with.

Mike, can I have first dibs on all the stock F135 parts? I can give you a list, and hook up with someone from the Proffitts crew when I get to CM08.:)

Sorry I have nothing to contribute on the diesel poll.:frown:

I'd have loved to have you try my F135 out at Katemcy this year. Maybe it would have given you second thoughts. :hmm:

:cheers:

Time to piss some people off...

Did some horse trading with Proffitt yesterday, and worked out a deal I couldn't resist. My driveline will be 4BT->th475->Orion HD on sprung over fj60 axles. I'm also adding A/C, power steering, and all of life's comforts.

As for staying stock, this 45 had been sitting in a farmer's field in MN for 9 years, and had been for sale for over 2 years when I bought it. Nothing worked... no brakes, no clutch, no electrical, etc. The guy thought it would be a good hunting vehicle, but no hunters wanted it because of it's condition. It was set to die a slow death rotting in a field.

So guess what? I bought it, I got it back on the road, and now I'm spending my money having it built. I feel no guilt or obligation to keep this truck stock because if it wasn't for me it probably would still be rotting away, but with 4 more years of death under it's belt. In all reality I'm extending it's life by decades.

Sorry if that upsets some of you.

Mike, can I have first dibs on all the stock F135 parts? I can give you a list, and hook up with someone from the Proffitts crew when I get to CM08.:)

Sorry I have nothing to contribute on the diesel poll.:frown:

I'd have loved to have you try my F135 out at Katemcy this year. Maybe it would have given you second thoughts. :hmm:

:cheers:

Mark,

Send me a list and I'll see what I can do. I'm going to keep the glass fuel filter as a paper weight. :p

And after daily driving the 45 in Houston traffic, there is nothing you could have done/said that would change my mind. :)

-mike.

I think you will be very happy with the 4BT--just a few months ago I dropped off one of my FJ45 LWB at Proffitts for a diesel conversion. The 4BTs are nice because you can used a lot of parts from the 6 cyl engines and the parts are very easy to come by. I have another truck that I am going to be doing a frame off on that I have been thinking about the 2.8 international diesel for--but time will tell. The hardest part is the waiting for the project to be complete.

4BT Yep!

Time to piss some people off...

Did some horse trading with Proffitt yesterday, and worked out a deal I couldn't resist. My driveline will be 4BT->th475->Orion HD on sprung over fj60 axles. I'm also adding A/C, power steering, and all of life's comforts.

As for staying stock, this 45 had been sitting in a farmer's field in MN for 9 years, and had been for sale for over 2 years when I bought it. Nothing worked... no brakes, no clutch, no electrical, etc. The guy thought it would be a good hunting vehicle, but no hunters wanted it because of it's condition. It was set to die a slow death rotting in a field.

So guess what? I bought it, I got it back on the road, and now I'm spending my money having it built. I feel no guilt or obligation to keep this truck stock because if it wasn't for me it probably would still be rotting away, but with 4 more years of death under it's belt. In all reality I'm extending it's life by decades.

Sorry if that upsets some of you.

That's what I voted & didn't even read any replies yet :bounce: Gotta go find a cookie now :lol: Parts availability, aftermarket support, & dependability is what I look for in a diesel engine. I can overlook the rattle of the engine as Dynamat, liquid filled motor mounts & a *decent exhaust can cure that. I'd find out the max torque rating of that Orion though. Is this a direct dropout from a bread truck, hence the TH475?
I'd want an overdrive for sure, so maybe a 4L80 instead? Can't wait to see some progress pics :bounce:

Mark,

Send me a list and I'll see what I can do. I'm going to keep the glass fuel filter as a paper weight. :p

And after daily driving the 45 in Houston traffic, there is nothing you could have done/said that would change my mind. :)

-mike.

Will do Mike...and thanks!:)

It will be good for you to move forward. I don't think you got much use out of the 45 or the 40 in the 5 years we've been talking on the board. Butch told me the 40 is very happy in it's new home, and that is a good thing.

I am glad you are moving towards having a trailworthy rig so you can go out and have some fun. THAT is what all of this is really supposed to be about. There are too many people out there loosing too many quality YEARS of adventure out of their lives while doing these seemingly endless builds that never end up getting finished. Sometimes, you just have to bite the bullet and pay a shop to move the job forward. There are times I am still tempted to give some of my own work on MY rigs to others so that when I am ready to wheel I can just GO! All I can say in that regard is, As long as you use the truck a lot, the effort [and the $$] you spend to have someone else do the work will have been worth it.

I'd also like to say for the record that a modified truck that gets used and enjoyed for its intended purpose BEATS THE SHEIT out of a resto that gets driven a few times a year. And I think I have the credentials to say that.

Best

Mark A.

I'd find out the max torque rating of that Orion though. Is this a direct dropout from a bread truck, hence the TH475?
I'd want an overdrive for sure, so maybe a 4L80 instead? Can't wait to see some progress pics :bounce:

The 4BT is something Proffitt had sitting in his shop, and it is freshly rebuilt. The tranny is also a fresh rebuild. As far as I know they came from independent sources.

Thanks for the heads up on the Orion. I'll check out the tq rating.

Will do Mike...and thanks!:)

It will be good for you to move forward. I don't think you got much use out of the 45 or the 40 in the 5 years we've been talking on the board. Butch told me the 40 is very happy in it's new home, and that is a good thing.

I am glad you are moving towards having a trailworthy rig so you can go out and have some fun. THAT is what all of this is really supposed to be about. There are too many people out there loosing too many quality YEARS of adventure out of their lives while doing these seemingly endless builds that never end up getting finished. Sometimes, you just have to bite the bullet and pay a shop to move the job forward. There are times I am still tempted to give some of my own work on MY rigs to others so that when I am ready to wheel I can just GO! All I can say in that regard is, As long as you use the truck a lot, the effort [and the $$] you spend to have someone else do the work will have been worth it.

I'd also like to say for the record that a modified truck that gets used and enjoyed for its intended purpose BEATS THE SHEIT out of a resto that gets driven a few times a year. And I think I have the credentials to say that.

Best

Mark A.

I had my fj40 for a few years before I started posting on PBB, and in that time I put about 50k miles on it. It was my daily driver for about 4 years. I then got the 45 and daily drove that for about 9 months. I then got a promotion at work and bought a new Audi, so no more daily driving 40 year old trucks. :lol:

And I totally agree with you on having a truck that gets used vs. having a show piece. One thing that Proffitt... not really complained... but mentioned was that a lot of the 45 resto/builds that they do disappear into someone's collection, and they never see them again. I guarantee that will not be the case this time. :cheers:

I like the drivetrain you selected you cannot go wrong. I'm leaning toraward swapping fj60 axles into my lwb 45 as well but sure how much it will stick out compared to stock. Any ideas?

I like the drivetrain you selected you cannot go wrong. I'm leaning toraward swapping fj60 axles into my lwb 45 as well but sure how much it will stick out compared to stock. Any ideas?

About 4" (3.75") to be exact if you stick with a 3.5" back spaced wheel.

I have 62 axles under my 45 and I currently have 15" rims with 35X12.50 tires with 4" backspacing. The tires stick out about 2" from the body. I will soon be going with a 16" FZJ80 rim with 4.5" backspacing and some Michelin XZL's.

I think it should look pretty cool.

Mark:

"I am glad you are moving towards having a trailworthy rig so you can go out and have some fun. THAT is what all of this is really supposed to be about. There are too many people out there loosing too many quality YEARS of adventure out of their lives while doing these seemingly endless builds that never end up getting finished. Sometimes, you just have to bite the bullet and pay a shop to move the job forward. There are times I am still tempted to give some of my own work on MY rigs to others so that when I am ready to wheel I can just GO! All I can say in that regard is, As long as you use the truck a lot, the effort [and the $$] you spend to have someone else do the work will have been worth it.

Best

Mark A. "

:clap::clap::clap: BRAVO!!!! You hit the nail right on the head.

Very nice. I do not think you'll be let down in the least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom