Which 285/75/16 tires...A/T, hybrid, MT... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My cheap, new to me '99 LX470 is in the shop currently having both CV axles, steering rack, valve cover gaskets, and spark plugs replaced. And getting an alignment with the CV and steering rack replacements. The old tires on this thing are shot, edge wear, dry rot, gotta go. I'm pretty well set on putting on something LT 285/75/16 since they fit on stock height (according to the FAQ), and there are a ton of options in this size. All of this is expensive (anticipated, but still expensive), so tires need to be on a budget best I can without resorting to Linglongs

I am not a hard core intentional off-roader or overlander. I’m the daily driver that finds the off-road in where I go. We have a farm in South GA which is mostly red clay and mud. I do regularly visit construction sites in Lowcountry SC, which are entirely mud. And we have a 21' center console to tow. But most of my time is commuting back and forth 2 miles to daycare and 3 miles to the office.

A/T - good on road, good on boat ramp, suck in mud
I put some Discount exclusive Pathfinder AT (by Hankook) on our Yukon XL and they've been great so far.
They also have the Discount exclusive Trailfinder AT. Appear to be made by Khumo?
Also had some Discount exclusive Cooper ATP on a previous truck. They performed well but had one get a slow leak that seemed to be a mystery.

Guess it’s apparent I favor Discount Tire?

Hybrid - I don't know, never owned a hybrid tire. Any suggestions on some to look at that aren't $300+ per tire? And are they truly any better with getting packed in mud than a regular AT tire?
Thoughts on Kelly Edge MT? Called an MT but look a little tighter tread like a lot of hybrids to me.

M/T - any out there that don’t completely suck on wet pavement and boat ramps?
Geolander MT reviews talk about being quieter and better ride than anticipated. Any experience with them in general, or on wet surfaces specifically?

I have over 60k miles on my Falken Wildpeak AT-3s. An AT tire that has taken us everywhere on and off road. I’m actually going to end up replacing them with over 1/4” of tread because my sidewalks are pretty rough from the trails.

We just replaced Michelin road tires with these on my wife’s Jeep (I love her), and there was no difference in road noise.

The Falkens have been worth every penny and I have no reason to try anything else.

I run 285 BFG KO2's on MY 99 LX470 and 35s my 01 F250 they work well aired down in the SoCal dirt - dont get much mid out here. The milestar pategonias are next on my list to try however. People seem to like those and they are pretty cost effective.

Falken wildpeak at3 all day I have them on 4 rigs and they have been the best tire for multipurpose use I have ever owned. I even run them on a work sprinter van for going over the passes in the winter. I have 20k miles on the wife’s 4 runner and they don’t even show any wear yet. I run a 35 on my 80 series and 31 on my 1st gen tundra.

For what you described, I'd highly consider the Cooper Discover AT3 XLT. I've had two sets on different vehicles in the past and I've been very happy with them. Price is right too, at $266 per tire from Discount Tire.

As recommended above, the Falken Wildpeaks are very popular, but they have gotten expensive. They're well over $300 per tire these days.

The Firestone Destination X/T is another option that is pretty affordable.

I'm currently KO2's and I've been very happy with them and they've served me well. In pretty much every condition you'll see in the East. I've seen prices in them ranging from around $270-$300 per tire.

If I did it over I would go with KO2. Not really happy with the ridge grappler. They balance out fine but still vibrate. And never same speeds. Seem to get flat spots when sitting . I 5 tire rotate and balance 2 goin on front every 3-5k. All my buddies that run ko2 never have this issue and they perform great

For what you described, I'd highly consider the Cooper Discover AT3 XLT. I've had two sets on different vehicles in the past and I've been very happy with them. Price is right too, at $266 per tire from Discount Tire.

As recommended above, the Falken Wildpeaks are very popular, but they have gotten expensive. They're well over $300 per tire these days.

The Firestone Destination X/T is another option that is pretty affordable.

I'm currently KO2's and I've been very happy with them and they've served me well. In pretty much every condition you'll see in the East. I've seen prices in them ranging from around $270-$300 per tire.
I second mountaineer w/r cooper.

The Cooper AT3, Grabber ATx, and Destination XT are all ones I will re-price alongside the other options. My Cooper ATP were great with the exception of getting a slow leak that took forever for them to figure out. I think that was just an oddity and not common. The Firestone shop is very close to the house so I'd probably be better rotating them since they're 2 miles away vs 10 to Discount...

Wildpeaks are the relatively new king it seems. But I don't intend to pay $325 EA for them.

We've had KO2s in the past on a Jeep and I did not care for them. Far too many other options out there to go back to trying them again IMO.

I would estimate I’d get 75k miles out of my wildpeaks before they had to be replaced (if I didn’t plan on being on rough trails). I paid about $280 each less than two months ago, but given my experience I’d still pay more.

I haven’t kept a vehicle for 75k worth of mileage, or long enough to wear out a set of tires, in the last 10 years. Now, I’d bet I keep this one longer than I have been swapping vehicles out. But weird as it sounds the tread life isn’t that big of a concern for me as long as whatever I get isn’t bald in 20k miles. Our Yukon XL is the road trip vehicle and the one that will rack up the mileage. These will likely be dry rotted before they get worn out on mileage

I took a left turn on the entire thread. Went with 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Ultraterrain. Tire cost, tire weights, and the fact of towing the boat here and there with no intention to lift it swayed me back to the 265s.

0D3124C7-430B-440A-B589-07EE0E34C5E9.jpeg

78D43800-5909-40DB-9F5F-0350E44EDDC3.jpeg

0FB75A49-0ADA-4B8C-88EB-3AFDF2F76AC2.jpeg

I took a left turn on the entire thread. Went with 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Ultraterrain. Tire cost, tire weights, and the fact of towing the boat here and there with no intention to lift it swayed me back to the 265s.
Read the whole thread. Think you're left turn was the right move. All the suggestions were great and I run the WildPeaks too, but your use case is good for the choice you made.
Approved. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom