Where to use Toyota FIPG? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I read that the black Toyota FIPG (Form In Place Gasket) was recommended to install the oil fill tube in my 67 FJ40 block. Little dab around the base where it goes in he block.

I’ve seen discussions on the board that recommend FIPG use elsewhere, such as water pump and t-stat gaskets, even the t-stat bolt threads. I have a tube of black FIPG now.

Can I use FIPG on the gasket for the side plate (pushrod access cover)? Valve cover gasket? Oil pan gasket?

Is there a general rule about where or where not the black Toyota FIPG can be used? Is there a more recommended gasket in a tube? If I’m not screwing up, I’ll use the FIPG for oil pressure regulator, fuel pump, etc gaskets as well. Am I flirting with disaster?

Thanks from the VA Mountains.
261DCA96-28EA-467D-A003-8A1845366F1A.jpeg

I read that the black Toyota FIPG (Form In Place Gasket) was recommended to install the oil fill tube in my 67 FJ40 block. Little dab around the base where it goes in he block.

I’ve seen discussions on the board that recommend FIPG use elsewhere, such as water pump and t-stat gaskets, even the t-stat bolt threads. I have a tube of black FIPG now.

Can I use FIPG on the gasket for the side plate (pushrod access cover)? Valve cover gasket? Oil pan gasket?

Is there a general rule about where or where not the black Toyota FIPG can be used? Is there a more recommended gasket in a tube? If I’m not screwing up, I’ll use the FIPG for oil pressure regulator, fuel pump, etc gaskets as well. Am I flirting with disaster?

Thanks from the VA Mountains.View attachment 3223778
I believe that I saved this quote from our friend @ToyotaMatt :
"Engine OIL gets BLACK when u change it , so hence OIL pan and Cam shaft housing sealant or BLACK FIPG 00295-00102 / 00103
also , this is applied to ALL coolant system gaskets like water pumps and t-stat housings etc ....

- GEAR BOX OIL is usually a Reddish Brown Color when u install it NEW and Sometimes when u drain it too ...... so , ALL Axles , Gear Boxes get OARNGE / Reddish Brown FIPG 00295-01281"

To quote an old tv advertisement for hot sauce, "I put that sh!t on everything".

It's the best FIPG sealer ever, but expensive. Both flavors. A must-have in my tool chests.

I used it on both my pushrod gallery cover ("side" cover) and my oil pan. What I do is, spread about the thinnest layer that I can with a (nitrile-gloved) finger on both sides of the cork gaskets, then torque to spec, which is only 93 inch-lbs. Both are still 100% leak-free after 15 years.

I believe that I saved this quote from our friend @ToyotaMatt :
"Engine OIL gets BLACK when u change it , so hence OIL pan and Cam shaft housing sealant or BLACK FIPG 00295-00102 / 00103
also , this is applied to ALL coolant system gaskets like water pumps and t-stat housings etc ....

- GEAR BOX OIL is usually a Reddish Brown Color when u install it NEW and Sometimes when u drain it too ...... so , ALL Axles , Gear Boxes get OARNGE / Reddish Brown FIPG 00295-01281"
Thank yous to @ToyotaMatt for the FIPG rule use quotes and memory peg descriptions.

Thank yous to @Green Bean for sourcing and sharing that information, including the Toyota OEM part numbers. IIRC @ToyotaMatt has a shop in SC, which is relatively close to VA. Very good info to know. Love some East Coast resources.

I really appreciate this community. I can go forward now and go a’ slathering FIPG in utmost confidence. And several pairs of shop gloves.

Best from the VA Mountains

To quote an old tv advertisement for hot sauce, "I put that sh!t on everything".

It's the best FIPG sealer ever, but expensive. Both flavors. A must-have in my tool chests.

I used it on both my pushrod gallery cover ("side" cover) and my oil pan. What I do is, spread about the thinnest layer that I can with a (nitrile-gloved) finger on both sides of the cork gaskets, then torque to spec, which is only 93 inch-lbs. Both are still 100% leak-free after 15 years.
Thanks @1911 ! Had to laugh, part of my brain remembered that ad—also a hot sauce lover. Adding phrase pushrod gallery cover to my tech nomenclature vocabulary, TY for that. It helps to be precise in most of these matters.

Roger roger on the inch-lb torque spec, not to be confused with ft lb. Thanks for the application tips as well. It all matters. @ToyotaMatt quotes make it easy to remember which ’everything’ is what. Time for me to go use up some nitrile gloves.

Thanks @1911 ! Had to laugh, part of my brain remembered that ad—also a hot sauce lover. Adding phrase pushrod gallery cover to my tech nomenclature vocabulary, TY for that. It helps to be precise in most of these matters.

Roger roger on the inch-lb torque spec, not to be confused with ft lb. Thanks for the application tips as well. It all matters. @ToyotaMatt quotes make it easy to remember which ’everything’ is what. Time for me to go use up some nitrile gloves.

111.jpg

THIS IS THE WAY.....

00295-00103 should not be used where coolant travels/lives. It's for oil locations.

And it should not be used on threads at all. Threads should receive correct thread locker.

Any place coolant lives/travels through should utilize 08826-00100.
Holy $&*@ that 08826-00100 green coolant sealant is $70/tube

00295-00103 should not be used where coolant travels/lives. It's for oil locations.

And it should not be used on threads at all. Threads should receive correct thread locker.

Any place coolant lives/travels through should utilize 08826-00100.
@OGBeno Thanks for the good details. Anti-seize or Loctite on threads, not FIPG. FIPG should not be used on water pumps or t stat housings, instead use 088826-00100. I appreciate the details and part numbers. Wow, $70 tube…hope it is good stuff. Really want to do this right.

Thanks for sharing. I’m about to go learn some more about the good green stuff. I’m sure Toyota has a reason.
VA Mountain FJ40

08826-00100 actually is TB1252B

But impossible to find, or not retail available, FAIK...

The Genuine Toyota can be found from some ebay sellers for $50.

The 1207B is for more modern engines, I believe.

In any case, the 08826-00100 is probably the best out there, and formulated to be resistant to the old skool green coolant. I cry once, buy once.

:meh:

@OGBeno Thanks for the good details. Anti-seize or Loctite on threads, not FIPG. FIPG should not be used on water pumps or t stat housings, instead use 088826-00100. I appreciate the details and part numbers. Wow, $70 tube…hope it is good stuff. Really want to do this right.

Thanks for sharing. I’m about to go learn some more about the good green stuff. I’m sure Toyota has a reason.
VA Mountain FJ40
But impossible to find, or not retail available, FAIK...

The Genuine Toyota can be found from some ebay sellers for $50.

The 1207B is for more modern engines, I believe.

In any case, the 08826-00100 is probably the best out there, and formulated to be resistant to the old skool green coolant. I cry once, buy once.

:meh:
Holy $&*@ that 08826-00100 green coolant sealant is $70/tube

i respectfully disagree here on this topic and here is the TECH. on the why :

- do not use the 08826-00100 , on your FJ40 anywhere it will come into contact with the FULL STRENGTH FACTORY RED FLUID as TOYOTA FSM calls for ...

- or if you use GREEN COOLANT for some bizarre reason i will not get into here .....

- the 00295-00103 is for FACTORY RED FULL STRENGTH FLUID you dilute with distilled water

- the 08826-00100 in the green striped Tube , is for later TOYOTA engines that use and call for the factory PINK Pre-MIX Later Modern formula you DO NOT dilute in any way

- those are the facts i have read on TOYOTA Paper Print Media and TIS network TSB's Technical Service Bulletins ..

i respectfully disagree here on this topic and here is the TECH. on the why :

- do not use the 08826-00100 , on your FJ40 anywhere it will come into contact with the FULL STRENGTH FACTORY RED FLUID as TOYOTA FSM calls for ...

- or if you use GREEN COOLANT for some bizarre reason i will not get into here .....

- the 00295-00103 is for FACTORY RED FULL STRENGTH FLUID you dilute with distilled water

- the 08826-00100 in the green striped Tube , is for later TOYOTA engines that use and call for the factory PINK Pre-MIX Later Modern formula you DO NOT dilute in any way

- those are the facts i have read on TOYOTA Paper Print Media and TIS network TSB's Technical Service Bulletins ..
Uh oh! Found the 08826-00100 on eBay For $30/tube and ordered last night. Guess I should save it for later and use the 00295-00103 I have. Thanks for catching this. Might as well get some of the Factory Red coolant for filling once ready.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom