Where to install inverter on 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a new inverter (Powerwatz 600--it meets my needs and more) I want to install. The choices are to install in the camper or to install in the LC. I'd prefer to install in the LC for two reasons: proximity to the battery (thought it's not a deep cycle), and so that I'd have it around all the time. Problem is that the inverter install instructions specify that it must be installed in a dry environment, and that it should be installed horizontally (though they don't specify the plane they're referring to--I assume they mean "flat"). Looking around the LC today, I could not fine a place that met these specifications--certainly no wher under the hood. I have sufficient #4AWG wire to put this anywhere on the truck, but can't determine a proper location. Have any of you installed inverters? If so, how have you dealt with this sort of thing? Any pearls of wisdom for me?

I'll be leaving for FL for a week, so please just post and I'll get back next week. TIA.

Tom

Hi Tom and welcome to the 80/100 section.

Junk is a member and he has a large inverter mounted in the cargo area. As I recall, he mounted it in the right side of the rear cargo area; in the area where the OEM sub woofer is located.  He may not be available this week so wait awhile and he will respond with specifics. I'm certain it wasn't mounted horizonally as I'm thinking you are looking for.

In the meantime, it will help you find a good place if you can be certain on the "horizontal" mounting.  If you live in a warm climate you might consider removing the rear heater from the US PS front seat. That would give you a pretty big area if it will fit there.

-B-

I think -B- is thinking of mine... but maybe Junk has one too? I'm running a 3000/6000 in the cargo area on the right side. Its a very large unit and I removed the side pocket, and drilled it into a mounting board. I can snap a picture tomorrow if you like.

Your 600 is probably much smaller though. Perhaps it'd even fit inside that pocket?

Just be careful of the heat build-up - Mine has a heat sink that does get warm. As the instructions indicate , this needs to be a dry mount - don't put it under the hood

I'm thinking of semi-permanently mounting mine with zip ties vertically on my cargo barrier :D (see cargo barrier post!)

Cheers, Hugh

Keep,
I was thinking about Junk's as I forgot you had recently installed that big boy (3000 watts?) I think Junk's is a 2000 watt version but I'm sure he mounted it behind the right side panel in the cargo area.

Post some pics of yours when you get a chance. Did you pitch the OEM sub to make room?
-B-

-B-, I didn't mount it as far back as the OEM "sub" (thats a laughable description of that little paper thing). Actually I replaced that speaker with a 8" sub and a box that fit it in that area with a 250W amp on it. I'll be yanking it out soon though... I want better sound out of it and will probably go fiberglass. Sorry, getting off topic... the inverter covers the pocket and the ashtray.

I too mounted my 1000w Cobra Highgear inverter in the passenger side cargo area. Perfect access when camping - you can plug in the blender to make girlie drinks for the ladies. There's plenty of room and you can run the cable down through the frame and up to the aux battery with ease. Actually, you'll probably need to use quite a bit of teflon spray to snake it through the frame. If you'd like photos, just let me know.

mattheworton@earthlink.net

Thanks all! I apologise for being late to reply but was on vacation until today.

From the descriptions that Beo and Keep have provided, I assume you're saying that it's installed out in the open within the cargo area. That makes sense from a cooling perspective. But I was hoping that it could be installed somewhere where it would not be "in the way" where I would no doubt bang it up when putting stuff back there. I also didn't want to cut up any of the interior if possible...

Beo: the manual does state that it must be installed horizontally, but for the life of me, it doesn't desribe what that means--without further explanation, horizontal could be defined as any orientation that doesn't stand it on either end.

If anyone has pictures, that would be appreciated since I'm a visual sort of guy. Thanks.

Tom

Here's a pic of the inverter in mine, just to the right of the lawn mower. :D In my case, because of the shape of the inverter, it was pretty obvious which direction horizontal was.
inverter.jpg

Tom,
I don't recall how tall your inverter is but there is a possibility that it could mount under the driver's seat. You can relocate the OEM alarm easily. It would have to be pretty thin and you would want to locate the A/C outlets in the rear or somewhere more accessible.  Juat another option to consider though.

I believe Junk located his BEHIND the right rear panel in the cargo area.   Ask him via IM or PM. He should be back on-line in a week or so.

-B-

Keep: thanks for the pic. I can see that you don't have a third-row seat in your truck which is why you can fit it there. I'd be really reluctant to pull mine since I use them now and them, and besides, the wife would hand me a fond part of my body if I took them out. :eek:

Beo: I did consider putting it under the PS seat. It's only about 10" L x 6" W x 2" H, so it could probably fit there.

Thanks again,
Tom

Tom,
The rear heater is under the PS seat. You will have a tough time relocating it.  Under the DS seat would be your best option if you cannot locate it in the rear cargo area.

Can you get by with a single 3rd seat? I'm only running with one. Take one out permanently, then you can leave the other seat belt assembly and the mounting hardware and reinstall the single seat when needed.
-B-

Beo: "I" could live without it, but as I noted, the boss would not. Thanks for the correction on location. I think that's a good idea. Heck, it will even make it easier to run the #4AWG since it's a bit shorter distance.

Thanks,
Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom