Where to buy new carb (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
heyas-
I want to replace , or get rebuilt my 79 Aisan carb.SOR has match for like 500.00 or so. Found place online called Import carburators, who have match for 239.00 (with core). I have also considered sending it to Jim C. but have to get a price . Does anyone know ~ what he charges? Anyone have experience w/ the online store I mentioned?
Props to Macintosh Imports- they checked my truck out and advised me to replace gas tank and pump,lines and filters.(With all the junk in the lines and filters, I'm pretty confident I have fouled up my carbs interior.) Macintosh were straight up and only charged a nomonal fee. Super nice people!

Thanks all- Paul

Paul,
If you can wait until the first of Aug, I'll rebuild it for you for free. Just get a kit for it. You could bring it to the July 30th meeting and I'll get it back to you in about a week. Best I can do.

I have always heard great things about Jim C. rebuilds, I woudl get a good rebuild done b/f I bought a brand new carb. I dotn think Jim C is cheap though.

JimC all the way. It will run the best that it can from him. He not only rebuilds it, but modifies it to your rig. He then test runs it and sends it back. I just bolted my on and it ran like a top. It was in really bad shape before. Just give him call, he sometimes has a wait, but he might have a quick ship/swap program available now.

Jeremy

Thank you all- helpful as always:)! Have feelers out on 60 forum as well- gonna give it a day or so.

Don't bother with the 60 crowd. All they know how to do is fix vac. leaks and install OME lifts.:lol:

Just kidding.

What year motor was put in your rig? Do you have the "Big Cap" distributer or smaller cap dist.? If it is an 82' and newer 2F it would be the "big cap". 79' to 81' would be small cap.

Jeremy

Small cap I believe. 73 frame w/ 79 everything else. A real beast to title

That means it should be titled a 73'. Not hard, that's how mine is. 71' frame with 78' drivetrain. The title follows the frame stamp. It doesn't matter what is sitting on it. Unless it is an old cutlass or something, then you better not even bother titling it.:lol: I believe those are called "trars", half truck half car.

If I remember correctly somebody in NC had it retitled and made a door plate for it and titled it a 79'. NC might be different than SC, because when they checked my rig for titling he looked at the frame stamp and didn't care about the vin plate. He had to inspect mine because it had never been titled here, and I only had an old registration. Since you already had a title they would probably just keep going with what was on there.

Jeremy

Mwah-ha-ha! She lives!

Hey folks- Wont be needing a new carb.When faced with replacement or rebuild,(both around 300-500 bucks-with long waits)I took further leave of my senses and bought a rebuild kit.
I figured I'd spend 20 bucks and some time before I dropped the big dollars. Worst case , I'd have a non- functional carb.No loss there. Wife left town for weekend,and I converted kitchen table to workshop.I was going for well lit and comfortable with plenty of space. The diagram that came with kit was extremely helpful. I followed the dissasembly sequence, replaced a few parts, and did a lot of cleaning. There was a lot of dirt in there.I used carb cleaner and compressed air ( a can of each). started Friday night,and finished mid-day Sat.It was about 6 hrs total. Bolted it back on,hooked it all up- and had linkage wrong! Repeated previous step and fired her up.She has never sounded better. The kit gave baseline adjustments of fuel and idle that were spot on, minor tweeking was all that was required. I had no idea of the inner workings of the carb, and claim no technical skills or knowledge of theory. I know its not tuned as well as a pro rebuild, but by gosh it's running !:bounce:I plan on bringing her and myself to July meeting.Incidentally,I was able to get most of gas stink out of house by wifes return sat. pm. All was forgiven. She did admonish me to "leave it alone for a while now that its running" Sheesh. well- I hope to see some of you on the 30th!:cheers:

Good to know somebody's got there rig running, congrats and have fun at the meeting will catch up with you sooner or later.

I've rebuilt many a carb on my kitchen table. Congrats to you for being willing to tackle it your self. Glad to hear it's running well. See you at the meeting.
David:clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom