Where do I go from here - Knuckle wiper seals (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I thought I was on the right track but apparently not. I've cleaned everything, painted, new seals, new bearings (kit was from SOR), measured using knuckle centering tool to check shims, reinstalled knuckle, tension on knuckle is within specs with shims in place from new measurements....but now I'm seeing what I believe it too much grease from wiper seals for a new seal. This is from turning on bench only. I used Valvoline Palladium grease. I'm assuming if I run as is ( if I ever get there) it'll be a weeping mess. Knucle balls are not perfect so maybe my expectations are out of line for what I'm working with.

Where do I go from here?

At least the kids are having fun helping with the project and hopefully learning something.

20201130_073825.jpg

That does not seem too bad. Is the steering stop in? I doubt it will turn that much in the vehicle.

Not sure why the initial post is all bold but anyways, yes the grease is at full lock. I wipe it off and it's right back with a few turns. I did not change the stop positions.

2x on the steering stops, you have too much travel. The felt seal looks like it's actually hitting the axle (look at the felt just above the split on the retainer). The wear grooves on the bell are also allowing grease to get past the wiper, while not attractive it's not fatal. Polishing the bell and smoothing the grooves will improve the ability of the wipers to keep grease inside the knuckles.

2x on the steering stops, you have too much travel. The felt seal looks like it's actually hitting the axle (look at the felt just above the split on the retainer). The wear grooves on the bell are also allowing grease to get past the wiper, while not attractive it's not fatal. Polishing the bell and smoothing the grooves will improve the ability of the wipers to keep grease inside the knuckles.
Well that'd be an easy fix. I'll give it a shot.

Well, nothing changed. Worn balls? Could different shims screw wipers up? Whats plan B?

No expert here, but the problem arises when gear oil from the diff leaks past the axle seal and washes the grease out. The wipers just keep major debris out. Assuming you have new/good inner axle seals installed, just run it and move on. Maybe you shove more grease in the knuckle a year or two later. I think you did fine.

looks fine to me. I would have no problem running as is.

Thanks for the replies. I'll just plan on using as-is. I figured while it's on the workbench, now is the time to fix it right if I needed to change something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom