Where can I purchase this cool tire swingout latch deal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good, sometimes words aren't good enough, no matter how hard I try.

What if each swinger had it's own stop? Make them contact both the top and the rear of the main tube. Turn the existing stop into the lug that the clamp pulls on. Orient the base the clamp bolts to in a way that the clamp is pulling in the desired direction.

I didn't call attention to them, but if you look at my pic above you can see the 3/16" thick Delrin plates that the stop is faced with. Held on with deeply counter-sunk Socket Flat Head Screws. These prevent metal to metal contact and being an Engineering polymer they're a bearing material so it doesn't squeak.

Good, sometimes words aren't good enough, no matter how hard I try.

What if each swinger had it's own stop? Make them contact both the top and the rear of the main tube. Turn the existing stop into the lug that the clamp pulls on. Orient the base the clamp bolts to in a way that the clamp is pulling in the desired direction.

I didn't call attention to them, but if you look at my pic above you can see the 3/16" thick Delrin plates that the stop is faced with. Held on with deeply counter-sunk Socket Flat Head Screws. These prevent metal to metal contact and being an Engineering polymer they're a bearing material so it doesn't squeak.

That is what I use the bike tube rubber for. :hillbilly:

...... If you want to do it with one clamp then they need to 'nest' where one has a significant tab that hits the stop first, and the second one hits that tab while clamp compresses them all together. Clear as mud or need a jpg to illustrate?

And yes, I follow your overlapping tab/stop description.

I think that is definitely the answer. Make both swing arms (when clamped), essentially solid all the way across.

There is a stop that both hit when closed but yes your correct, the clamp does not apply any force into it. The tire swing will rattle pretty bad due to its weight. The other side sits pretty solid.

I’ve considered a 2nd clamp on the tire side to pull down into the bumper. Or two separate clamps doing that after removing the current. I’d really like to figure out a clever diagonal orientation that does both down and back. That would seem to be the most solid.

And yes, I follow your overlapping tab/stop description.
So I have a 4x4 labs rear on my 80, been on there for almost 6 years now, I call it the early style (red latch not the black latch). When my swing arms are in the closed position they are not straight on with another but actually at an angle so when the single latch is closed the arms are pulled into the stop. My swing arms have never rattled and barely move at all, 35" tire on one side and up to 3 Jerry's on some trips on the otherw. Now on the other hand later 4x4 labs bumpers have flatter arms and they rattle. I don't know why they changed the design to flatter but its great when there is a slight angle, the geometry from angled arms make it pulled into the stop. My mom and brother both have a later 4x4 labs that are flat where as my bumper and the one on my dad's 60 are angled and don't rattle at all. My latch is also very easy to open and close but the flat arms take significant effort

I ran across this sweet latch on a YJ last week and took a pic of it. Does anyone know what brand of latch this is? I like the simplicity of the design and the force direction.

1602599035049.png
1602599054748.png

It's not De-Sta-Co or Carr-Lane, and Austin hardware's page is down at the moment so looking there is not helpful. A more generic search has yet to turn up anything like it. I'm interested in who makes it as well.

It's not De-Sta-Co or Carr-Lane, and Austin hardware's page is down at the moment so looking there is not helpful. A more generic search has yet to turn up anything like it. I'm interested in who makes it as well.

Yup, that's what I'm running into as well. I just don't seem to have the correct search string for this item :bang:

4x4labs sell latches as well Latch

According to the attached spec sheet it is good for 500 lbs. static and 1000 lbs. dynamic loading.

Attachments

• Southco Latch a2-a7.en.pdf
    474.2 KB · Views: 73

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom