When to replace coils? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just replaced the shocks on my '97 LX450 180k miles with Bilstein's. It rides great. I am totally happy with it but.....
Is there a definitive way to know when the coils need to be replaced (i.e. ride height)? I don't know how old the coils are, they could be pretty new and I wouldn't know it. I don't want to throw down cash on new coils without knowing if they need to be replaced.
I have read as many posts as I could on the subject and have found many subjective answers that mostly say - get OME because they ride better.
I doesn't bounce more than twice (one test I read about). It doesn't bottom out. It doesn't appear to sag. I didn't get a bunch of height with the new springs (didn't think I would). The Lexus FSM just shows how to replace coils but not how to measure them. Again, I am happy with the ride. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If none are broken and the truck isn't leaning, they are fine and probably working nearly the same as they did from the factory. There's no reason to change them if you're happy with the ride.

Coil springs do not wear out. Light duty ones can be sagged or even broken if they are abused well beyond what it is possible to do in a Cruiser. This is not an issue in your rig.

Your springs do not need to be replaced unless you are looking to change the ride height or weight carrying capacity.

Mark...

I tend to disagree. So does your FSM. There is a height measurement in the manual that says what the ride height should be. Mine (lx with 169k) were about an inch lower than the minimum. They still rode fine, but I bet new ones would ride much better. Plus it was a good excuse to get new ones.

Thanks for the input/advice. I am not denying that OME coils are not in my future, but the Billie's have made a huge improvement

Coils are inherently more prone to sagging than leaf springs due to age and use. They'll usually keep working adequately, unless broken. But ride height will diminish. Not an issue with tires relatively close to stock, but could become an issue with larger tires that originally "just" fit.

I was real happy with the way the "stock" height OMEs helped add just a little more clearance in the wheel wells. The old coils rode OK, before the ARB and winch went on, but the OMEs are a definite improvement. Coils are more sensitive to added load than leaf springs and the added weight up front wasn't playing well with the saggy factory coils. If you have added some extra weight, those old coils really start showing their age.

Since you already have the shocks on, you're better than halfway there on improved ride and a little more ride height. Just add the coils if you stick with the "stock height OMEs, the new shocks will be fine. No need for castor adjustment, slap those babies in and go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom