Wheels 15mm offset vs OEM 25/52mm offset (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,

I just picked up a 2017 GX Premium. I've done a lot of camping, backpacking, and mtn biking, but am otherwise a newbie. I'm not looking to do any serious rock crawling and instead am looking to get out for some dispersed camping, exploring forest service roads, and BLM lands. I'd like to swap the 18" OEM wheels with a set of 17" wheels from a GX470 or 4Runner so I can get some more air volume. The tires I'm thinking about are the Falken Wildpeak AT 3Ws in a 265/70/17. From my research here, it seems that it'll fit with little to no rubbing and will also squeeze into the spare tire well. The 4Runner wheels (17x7.5) have an offset of 15mm. The GX470 wheels (also 17x7.5) have an offset of 25mm. I've seen posts indicating that the GX460 wheels have an offset of 52mm, but also that it might've a typo and that the offset is actually 25mm. Between the GX470 and 4Runner wheels, which wheel set is least likely to rub or cause problems with a 265/70/17 tire? I would think it'd be the 4Runner wheels since, as I understand, the lower offset would push the wheel further out.

Thanks!

I think it’s more a question of where you would rather rub than if you will. With the falkens you may be able to use the 4Runner wheels with no issues since the tread isn’t as aggressive. I’ve got a 2” lift with 275/70s on 4Runner wheels and I rub on the plastic thats left after the steps were trimmed for sliders when braking hard or when the tires are stuffed up in the wheel well offroad, but my tires are more aggressive. I’d rather rub there than on the UCAs.

All OEM wheel are +25 except maybe F sport wheel. I heard conflicting info. The +52 is a dyslexic typho that got left on the internet.

5th gen 4runner and FJ +15 offset. TRD PRO wheel are +4 but only 7" wide.

You need to ask the alignment guy to max caster from lower control arm and then move the fender liner forward.

Also, if you are getting a little "fender liner" rubbing when lock-to-lock or full compression, try a heat gun and just form the plastic liner in a little where the rubbing is. Usually that's all it takes for minor rubbing.

I went with Falken Wildpeaks in 265/70/17 on 2020 4Runner TRD Off-road takeoff wheels on my ‘17 GX460 Luxury. I saw no rubbing with the stock suspension but did lift 2” a few weeks later and never went offroad and pushed the original combo to the limit to see if rub occurred under extreme compression.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom