Wheel wobble? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently I have noticed that when I go around a while accelerating and I hit a bump that the wheels seem to shimy or wobble a bit. This seems like it should be concerning. Never has it felt like I was going to lose control but what is going on.

Last night I jacked up the truck and couldn't find anything that was lose. Steering knuckles seem tight, wheels are on tight and thats about as far as I know to look. Can you guys help give me some hints on what might be going on? Could it be in my steering box or is it a blown steering stabilizer? (It seemed ok when I was looking at it.)

Any help is appreciated. Thanks :cheers:

what I have found is it's not one thing that is loose but alot of little things a bit loose, add em all up and you get a wooble. TRE's and center arm are a good place to start. You checked the wheel bearings correct? (grab at 12 and 6 and wooble back and forth)

could be partialy a steering stabilizer but this is more of a kick back thing(I forget the word for it), not really a part of the steering set up that would make something feel loose. If everything is in good shape then taking off the steering stabizer should have no effect, heck most truck back in the day didn't even have a steering stabilizer.

Along with worn TRE's and center arm, could be a caster problem that initiates the wooble. What kind of lift to you have?

Put a 2° shim in the front to roll the steering angle back a hair. My 74 is a trail rig and has lots of worn but not wornout parts on it. With the axle tilted back farther than the measly little factory specs it drives great. The stock angle is not enough, especially if you have oversized tires.

It could be the steering damper or stabilizer but if you roll your axle back to the right angle it would drive good without it. I ran with no damper to get my steering angle zeroed in. Once I was satisfied with my angle I then added the damper to cut down on impact transfer through the steering. I can do 75 all day on the freeway or ralley down a dirt road with two fingers on the wheel.

There have been numerous discussions on this topic. You might try a search on "death wobble" or other related terms.

FWIW - I had a slight front end shimmy at about 50 mph when I put the MTR's on my FJ60. Went away with proper bearing preload and new OEM shocks.

Mike S

Its got a SOA with 35 MTs. I didn't check the bearings so I'll definately do that. Again, it doesn't wobble except when I am turning right and hit a bump then there is just a slight shimy and once I straighten it out it goes away. I can drive the thing a 70+mph without any steering or stability issues.

I have also noticed that when driving and I hit a bump of some kind I feel a knock transmitted into the steering wheel. Could this be loose linkage or Knuckles that need to be redone? There seems to be some play in the shaft that enters that steering box. Do these require occasional rebuilds with new seals and what-not?

Thanks

Its got a SOA with 35 MTs. I didn't check the bearings so I'll definately do that. Again, it doesn't wobble except when I am turning right and hit a bump then there is just a slight shimy and once I straighten it out it goes away. I can drive the thing a 70+mph without any steering or stability issues.

I have also noticed that when driving and I hit a bump of some kind I feel a knock transmitted into the steering wheel. Could this be loose linkage or Knuckles that need to be redone? There seems to be some play in the shaft that enters that steering box. Do these require occasional rebuilds with new seals and what-not?

Thanks

Its got a SOA with 35 MTs. I didn't check the bearings so I'll definately do that. Again, it doesn't wobble except when I am turning right and hit a bump then there is just a slight shimy and once I straighten it out it goes away. I can drive the thing a 70+mph without any steering or stability issues. I am learning as I go so I don't know where or how to put in a 2 degree shim. Heck! There may be one on it already, where to I look?

[quote author=drohweder link=board=1;threadid=11069;start=msg99852#msg99852 date=1076006364]
I can drive the thing a 70+mph without any steering or stability issues.[/quote]

A little shimmy at 40 might be a death wobble at 70. ;)

I have also noticed that when driving and I hit a bump of some kind I feel a knock transmitted into the steering wheel.

Loose wheel bearings could do it for sure. Worn spring bushings are a good culprit too.

:flipoff2: Most definately an extended warranty!!! Customer service is key at vintage! :flipoff2: He offered a plan but then the truck would have cost 30K and I would have to ship it to Michigan.

Thanks for rubbing salt in my wounds!!! :D

My FJ62 had similar symptoms, drove fine with no play or shimmy, but if I hit even a small bump at speed it would wobble terribly. Replaced the steering damper, problem solved. It's a pretty cheap fix from Toyota, worth giving it a shot and seeing if your problem goes away.

Bill

You're SOA so I guess my idea was a moot point, unless the perches where welded on wrong.

Dan,
Just finished doing a knuckle job on the '84 which I discovered due to a wandering of the truck. It generally tracked straight and true but every one and a while it just didn't seem right. In my case it was mostly wheel bearings but since the bearing grease came out like 90w gear oil it was time for the whole deal back to the inner axle.

So what is the steering damper? Its different from the stabilizer?

[quote author=drohweder link=board=1;threadid=11069;start=msg100042#msg100042 date=1076026950]
So what is the steering damper? Its different from the stabilizer?
[/quote]Same thing. Different terminology.
Have you adjusted the rod end at the steering box?

I had the exact type od wobble you describe. I tracked mine down to a loose tie rod end where it fin into the rod. The clamp was tight and you could not feel any slop and the tie rod end was new. I had it jacked up for the 100th time to try and hunt his down and noticed that I could wobble the DS ft tire just a touch in/out but none up/down. I readjusted the bearings but they were fine to start with and di not fix the problem. The tie rod end had stripped 2-3 threads inside the rod and would allow it to wobble in and out inside the rod at times. I retightened the clamp but it came back. I screwed the rod end back in 2 turns and it is fine for now. I looked a long time to find it.

OK fellas. I am a layman when it comes to this stuff. Rod end at the steering box? I know the later but not the former. I know there is some way to tighted stuff up with a center nut of the steering box but how to do it is beyond me at this point.

I'll have to bust out my Chiltons and look up all this terminology.

How are the bushings? Ive seen/felt worn bushings make steering/turning really sloppy. When you turn the wheel, the front shackles kinda dance around.

[quote author=hammerhead link=board=1;threadid=11069;start=msg100051#msg100051 date=1076027654]
Have you adjusted the rod end at the steering box?
[/quote]
Sorry dude, that's a 40 thing, musta been talking out my arse... :whoops:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom