Wheel Bearing of Front Differential Noise on 2001 Tacoma 3.4 4x4 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi! I am new here and do not know too much about cars. But I have a question.

I have an 01 Tacoma Double Cab trd off road 4x4 with 152,000 miles. It is making a noise and that sounds like a howling or whirling sometimes loud wind noise. It sounds like it is coming from the front of the truck. It is more discernable at lower speeds. Can sometimes almost feel it in the floorboard when driving slow with the rotation of the wheels. Have taken to many shops and they cannot figure out what it is coming from. Some said it may be the front differential (I hope not).

Does anyone have any experience with front end noise like this? Just got the fluid changed in the front differential and no shavings. Are front differentials going bad in the first generation tacomas common?

Also, I got the wheel bearing in the front passenger side replaced, but not the front driver. I put the truck up on a jack and there was not much play on the driver side wheel when I put my hands at 12 and 6 and 9 and 3 and pushed back and forth. I know you can still have a bad wheel bearing and not have play. Does anyone have any advice of what I could try/ or experience with this?

Jack up the front wheels and turn while touching the coil spring. If you have a bearing you will feel the grind there.

What is the condition of your tires?

Jack up the front wheels and turn while touching the coil spring. If you have a bearing you will feel the grind there.

What is the condition of your tires?

Thanks gnob for responding.

My tires are almost new 5,000 miles on them. And I just rotated them. I only have 1 jack, the one that comes with the truck. I’ll see if my local shop will try this.

Might be the needle bearing .. I hear mine at low speeds around 30.. Toyota master tech couldn’t find the problem. After a bunch of research I found this

What kind of tires?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom