What's with the dinky V8 oil filter? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.nmia.com
Everytime I change the oil filter, it looks smaller and smaller. Is it adequate? Does anyone make an adapter to use a larger filter? Would a larger filter necessarily be better? Maybe I should go with an Amsoil bypass filter system. Guess I could change the oil filter twice as often & top it off between oil changes.

donco,

I'm using the Mobil 1 oil filter and Mobil 1 10w30 full syn motor oil. I change the oil and filter every 10,000 mi.

I'm using the M-209 filter which is larger than the one spec'd for the 4.7 V8. It has the same features, pressures, etc. as the smaller one. It fits with no interferance.

calamaridog said:
donco,

I'm using the Mobil 1 oil filter and Mobil 1 10w30 full syn motor oil. I change the oil and filter every 10,000 mi.

I'm using the M-209 filter which is larger than the one spec'd for the 4.7 V8. It has the same features, pressures, etc. as the smaller one. It fits with no interferance.

Gotcha, good idea. I've been using Amsoil 10W30 and their SDF-57 (stock Toyota size) filter, going 12-15k between oil changes and intermediate filter changes and a top-off every 5-6k. I put in their new EA-57 nano-filter this afternoon. I just did a Google search and was able to cross-reference the M-209 and there is a comparable EA-34 which is larger than the stock Toyota filter. I'll try one of them next time.

Yup, small filter but it works like a charm. Nothing but beautiful UOA's on this engine. Search for the UOA's either on here or on bobistheoilguy. I and several others have posted 'em in both forums. I run the M-102 for 12-15k intervals and have gotten results an American engine would be envious of at 5k.

Tad, I agree with the results but the M-209 has the same specs and more filtering media so I figure it can't hurt.

My oil will be going in for analysis soon and I'll post the results.

donce, good reference on that part number for the Amsoil filter.

smaller is not necessarily worse.
On the 80 forum you'll read about folks having stashed large supplies of the little 2004 filter that has now been discontinued... These things -along with ammo- will be the trade item of choice when TEOTWAWKI finally happens... :D

e9999 said:
smaller is not necessarily worse

Right, but if the spec's are identical and there is more filtering media, such as with the M-209 filter, then it can't hurt to use it, especially when it costs the same as the smaller one:)

I installed a TRD filter on my last oil change. Quite a bit larger than stock. My question is does anyone know if it was worth the extra cost? $15.00

calamaridog said:
Right, but if the spec's are identical and there is more filtering media, such as with the M-209 filter, then it can't hurt to use it, especially when it costs the same as the smaller one:)

is there enough info out there to be sure that the specs are identical? Seems like they usually don't say much about filters, and there is much more than meet the eye as in valving etc....

e9999 said:
is there enough info out there to be sure that the specs are identical? Seems like they usually don't say much about filters, and there is much more than meet the eye as in valving etc....

At the time I made the decision I had the spec sheet in hand, so I was comfortable to do so. I don't know where it is but I will post it if I ever find it.

And yes, it is hard to find the specs on filters, what a pain in the ass.

jamesg said:
I installed a TRD filter on my last oil change. Quite a bit larger than stock. My question is does anyone know if it was worth the extra cost? $15.00

I think the best filters on the market are Amsoil and Mobil 1 which run about $10-12 each.

e9999 said:

To verify the Mobil M-102 and M-209 are identical other the M-209 having more filter media, I called the Mobil oil fitler hot line at 1.800.882.0890. The person answering the phone was technically minded and confirmed they are identical in design including threads, bursting pressure, bypass valve, type of media, and sealing ring. The recommendation was to use the M-209 if space allows (it does).

jp213a said:
To verify the Mobil M-102 and M-209 are identical other the M-209 having more filter media, I called the Mobil oil fitler hot line at 1.800.882.0890. The person answering the phone was technically minded and confirmed they are identical in design including threads, bursting pressure, bypass valve, type of media, and sealing ring. The recommendation was to use the M-209 if space allows (it does).

yes, but do you know that the specs are the same or better than OEM Toy?

e9999 said:
yes, but do you know that the specs are the same or better than OEM Toy?

I questioned the Mobil hot line guy why the M-209 wasn't listed as the recommeded filter over the M-102. The response was the M-209 didn't match the OEM physical size spec and the M-102 did. He stated both filters meet or exceed all OEM specifications and will not void new car warranties.

jp213a said:

Wow:cool:

You are my new hero:cheers:

When you guys change your oil after 12-15k miles, what does it look like? Is it completely black, or does it sill have gold tint?

When you guys change your oil after 12-15k miles, what does it look like? Is it completely black, or does it sill have gold tint?

JP: Thanks for looking into it to that extent! It's nice having a definitive answer straight from their mouth.

Nospell: I thought that first post was empty, now I see that black type!!! Mine looks pretty dark, but not absolutely black or burnt looking. Definitely not as translucent as when new though. That is with a minimum of 12k on it.

oil & filters

Nospell said:

I average 12-15k between changes (Amsoil). It's more brown than amber but not black and still has a nice "feel" when rubbed between my fingers. I haven't sent a sample off for analysis yet, don't feel the need to. I ran syn in my former Nissan Quest for 21k and sent a sample off and it was still good.

Actually, even tho I run a premium oil, it turns dark within the 1st few k miles. Carbon is one of the major constituents in the token blowby that darkens te oil and is smaller than the filter media. The only way to maintain amber oil for long change intervals is to install a sub-micron bypass filter. Filter media that small in the main filter would choke the flow.

Even tho I run the oil 12-15k, I still do intermediate filter changes every 5-6k and top off the level. Amsoil's basic full synthetic is rated for 25k/1 year between changes. Their Series 2000 oil is formulated for 35k/1 year. I haven't braved up the comfort level to let it go that long in mine and would recommend analysis samples to go that long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom