What's this thing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've searched for "little wire from positive terminal" & etc but can't find anything.

Last night I did my t bars. There was a loose wire running through the driver side t bar key bracket that had popped out of the little channel for it. I didn't think I'd crushed it.

After tightening the adjustment bolt for the drivers side, I started hearing a loud, intermittent tick from the engine bay with the motor off (I guess I crushed it).

I hunted it down to this device, which is apparently not bolted down anymore. I believe that pair of cables and sheath is what I saw under there (I cannot go follow the wire at this point in time). Curiously, the single wire to it is running straight off the positive battery terminal - it isn't fused.

I didn't see anything in the FSM but I'm bad at reading electrical drawings. Can anyone tell me what the heck this is? Every 10-15 seconds it ticks while driving, which flickers any lights that are on, but doesn't effect the radio or ignition.

photo_2018-02-24_07-42-59.jpg

photo_2018-02-24_07-43-39.jpg

Circuit breaker. It's tripping off, cooling down, resetting then re-tripping off again. No idea what its for but you must have pinched a wire somewhere and it's grounding out......

Something added by PO. Not a factory part. Remove it.

One of the POs added a trailer brake system and 7 pin - that's the only thing I can think of. I'll drive it around and see if anything happens. I did think it was very odd that there were not any apparent mounting holes for it and that it wasn't behind the main fuses, like literally everything else in the vehicle. Thanks for the input.

I have the exact same thing for my trailer brake controller.

Like abuck99 says, disconnect it from the battery until you find where the short is or, worst case scenario, you could end up with a fire somewhere. Do not drive around with it clicking on and off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom