What’s this and any cause for concern? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have never used one personally but I remember watching a Roadkill where they installed one on a chevy engine and never sealed. could have been a problem with the block. . . I would track down an OEM freeze plug. Then if you want to heat the engine do so with the pan heater or one spliced into bottom coolant hose.
I’ll check w my local dealer in the morn. Thanks Curt. I’d hate to have this thing blow out on my in the middle of the mountains.

So I picked up a Dorman 47-50mm expandable rubber freeze plug and two gallons of unmixed Napa green antifreeze. Fella at Napa recommended installing another freeze plug instead of the rubber expansion, said he has seen those fall out, but of course neither them, O’Riley’s or AZ, have a block heater to fit) I’ll crawl back under tonight and see if I have enough room to knock in a brass freeze plug (but looked awkward). Any of you have experience or input on the screw in rubber expansion type?
Misprint there, actually Napa recommended just installing another block heater but didn’t have em. I ordered the zerostart 3100071 this morning. Is the one mudders are using and zerostart booklet recommends for Toyota’s 4.2L “tractor” engine. Feeling better about his :). Thanks all!

7D17E198-5E2D-461C-97D9-390800D44FB9.png

CCE82FE2-85B7-4331-B2EF-DE8C1DC94725.png

An oil heater is more effective than a coolant heater when it's really cold, but they both help if you use them. Make sure you clean everything up as well as you can before you install the new heater and it'll probably solve the issue. Be careful where you route the cord. I've seen lots of them get cut by the fan or rubbed through by belts or pulleys. A rubber seal will wear out with enough heat cycles, so be prepared to replace it again in 5-10 years.

I always use zero start items on my vehicles. Good luck glad its all figured out.

Update. I can’t get the dang thing to budge. I’ve drained the radiator, unscrewed the bolt on the heater but can’t get it to budge. I accidentally removed the entire bolt, so I may have dropped the dang wing nut mechanism in the water jacket. I put it back on a bit to try and grab it and pull the heater out. There are two little screws on either side which I wouldn’t think would have any to do with the actual install/removal. They don’t want to budge anyway. It appears an older kats style heater. Any ideas?

70A3A4BA-6A42-4A8A-BA26-B0C838F50F4D.jpeg

Well I’m destroying it along the way ;)

44C9CD1A-6E49-4688-A458-F9CB6DB78B8B.jpeg

Try to hammer on the top or bottom to get it to rotate. Top in bottom out. Then get some pliers or a pry bar on it.

My first 2F engine had a rubber plug on it that blew out on the highway on me. I replaced it with an actual freeze plug and trouble free ever since.

Try to hammer on the top or bottom to get it to rotate. Top in bottom out. Then get some pliers or a pry bar on it.

My first 2F engine had a rubber plug on it that blew out on the highway on me. I replaced it with an actual freeze plug and trouble free ever since.
Ok. I’ll try again tonight. I don’t want to crack the block!

Beat on it last night, tried prying around the edge, and even knocked the receiving bolt for the screw on inside off and into water jacket thinking the locking mechanism on inside could have been froze. It won again. I work late tonight so won’t get to it til tomorrow eve. But I think I’ll try cutting a notch in it and try to get a pry bar in it. If that doesn’t work I may be forced to tow it to my mechanic and have him fight it.

BA623F5C-01C1-49E0-AFA2-54BEF2BBDD97.jpeg

Is there any way you can get a slide hammer attached to it?

If you can get a good sized hole in it, the try to get a screwdriver or prybar into the hole and lever it a bit to break the seal. You may try pb blaster to help with any corrosion that may have formed with the different metals.

Mission Accomplished!
that was something. Fortunately my mechanic lives in my neighborhood and was willing to stop by and check it out on his way home. We did have to put a little heat to it, I drimmel’d a worthless notch in it, finally he got to beating the snot out of it with a hammer wedge and it eventually gave way and turned, then it was over. A lip appeared and it gave way with a pry. We fished the locking mechanism from the water jacket. I could not find the little nut from the back of the block heater in the water jacket. We cleaned up the port and installed the zerostart. We filled her up antifreeze and burped her a bit. I started her up and let her run for nearly ten minutes ( I hate idling my rigs), then checked her and topped off after an hours rest, she only needed an ounce or so. Now I just need to route and secure the cord. Here is a crummy pic of the new install and some pics of the old, old block heater. Thank you all for your help.

71188285-9E64-4794-B39E-8AB5FE0E9BCA.jpeg

0F8CA509-20DF-475D-BC4D-F9F29BD868B1.jpeg

A5FEDEC2-B088-4BCB-8CDA-47573BA2B048.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom