What's the largest spare that fits in stock location? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

boydmick

RIP My Friend
SILVER Star
Threads
And would removing the hitch allow a larger one to fit?

I know it's not the best location, but until $$ start appearing in my wallet I have to wait to mount it outside.

This has been addressed numerous times ;) . I'll save you a search.

305/70/16 is at the outer limit. (33 inches). Removing the OEM hitch does not gain you anything. 35 inch (315/75/16) tires will not go, they usually hit the panhard rod. The wider tires hang down quite a bit but the carrier can be spaced up a bit to compensate (again a dead horse,well beaten). :D

hmmm. on post #2, you ask a question, obviously without reading many other threads or tapping ever so lovingly on the search button.

Therefore, your answer will be a 42" Irok. For a stock truck, you may have to slightly modifiy the tire to fit. :flipoff2:

Just 42" huh Junk? I currently have a 49" IROK tucked under there myself. ::)

[quote author=Rogue link=board=2;threadid=10258;start=msg91580#msg91580 date=1074408568]
Just 42" huh Junk? I currently have a 49" IROK tucked under there myself. ::)
[/quote]

I have a 60" super swamper on my tire carrier that increases the length of my rig to 6 meters. :whoops:

Mike

boydmick,
I don't believe you gain any space for the spare by removing the factory hitch.
-B-

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=10258;start=msg91575#msg91575 date=1074408124]
hmmm. on post #2, you ask a question, obviously without reading many other threads or tapping ever so lovingly on the search button.

Therefore, your answer will be a 42" Irok. For a stock truck, you may have to slightly modifiy the tire to fit. :flipoff2:
[/quote]

Sorry Junk, I figured a search on "spare tire" going back 9999 days would qualify as a loving search. Not a single mention of sizes. I'm well aware of what size tire will fit on the axle of a stock truck (did that search too) but wanted to make sure that it would fit under the truck too.

Well, I suppose boymick beats boygeorge. :D

Oh, and the :flipoff2: is the proper welcome salute to all newbies. It is our version of the red carpet. Seriously, there is a lot here to learn, so just hunker down.

Regarding the search, just type spare and you will find it. "spare tire" probably is redundant as most times when talking about the spare, it is a tire, unless it's Gumby, then it could the spare around his gut. :D :D

That said, assuming you will get the hang of the forum and the search button, the biggest most can fit is a 285/75r16 or a 305/70r16. Some folks have modded their spare lifting mechanism to raise it up higher, and some have claimed to have fit 295/75r16's in there. The 285 and 305 are both about 33".

BFG AT's
[glow=red,2,300]295/75/16 [/glow] (33.4 in tall x 11.2 in wide) will fit the stock suspension setup...AND they will fit in the stock spare area with NO modification.

I ran this setup for 4 months before i put an OME Lift on..and just within the last month i pulled the 295 from hanging from my rig's ass and gave it a new home..see pic below.

LinkPhoto

later.
joe

[quote author=- S.A. - link=board=2;threadid=10258;start=msg92046#msg92046 date=1074516787]
BFG AT's
[glow=red,2,300]295/75/16 [/glow] (33.4 in tall x 11.2 in wide) will fit the stock suspension setup...AND they will fit in the stock spare area with NO modification.

I ran this setup for 4 months before i put an OME Lift on..and just within the last month i pulled the 295 from hanging from my rig's ass and gave it a new home..see pic below.

LinkPhoto

later.
joe

[/quote]

Looks nice :D

Mike

Joe:

What kind of tire carrier do you have in which you don't need a new rear bumber?

Thanks,

Steve '94

Steve,it is a KAYMAR rear tire carrier for OEM bumper.
Got it from Man-a-fre.com $515

I posted other pics a few weeks back..do a search and you can find them.

later..
joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom