What's in your Spare Parts Kit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New owner to a 2000 100 series landcruiser 4.7L, wanting to put together a spare parts kit to have just incase. Other than the normal extra cv's and normal universal what spare parts do you carry for you 100 series if you're going out in the middle of nowhere?

Too much.

1669038743306.png

if you're going out in the middle of nowhere?
What's your intended purpose? Cross county road trips or off-road trails or overland routes etc

Reactions: GTV
I have a decent toolbox with a 54mm socket, several bolts, fuses, belts, fluids and other junk like zip ties… but absolutely nothing else.

However, I go hundreds of kilometers from all civilizations and God knows that northern Québec and Labrador are very isolated places.

Anyway, Murphy's Law guarantees that if you need a part, chances are it's not the one you bring.

I knock on wood!

Last edited:
What's your intended purpose? Cross county road trips or off-road trails or overland routes etc
Both anywhere triple A can tow me isn't much of a worry in a worst case scenario it's mainly way off road where it would really suck to have one little part break like a no start situation where you literally can't even limp it out to be able to be towed.
View attachment 3174620

"spare parts", titles only, 100 section only.
I do not know how to search correctly then, I did that first on the 100 series forum and nothing really came up just showed me a bunch of random threads that didn't apply.

Both anywhere triple A can tow me isn't much of a worry in a worst case scenario it's mainly way off road where it would really suck to have one little part break like a no start situation where you literally can't even limp it out to be able to be towed.
You need to have separate lists for off-road trips, that list can be long... depending on who you ask.

I can contribute to cross-country trips and washboard/overland trips. If you are carrying spare parts for such trips, that means you've probably missed some preventive or regular maintenance. Or you have cheap/crappy aftermarket parts in your truck. For example, there is no point in carrying an ignition rod, you should have replaced it at your convenience well ahead of a trip. Likewise, you need to look at each item on the above lists others have linked. And do the preventive maintenance with those parts for peace of mind. It's not fun to do repairs on the side of the road.

These trucks aren't failing that often, there isn't much to worry about if you have yours baselined and the most common preventive maint taken care of.

You need to have separate lists for off-road trips, that list can be long... depending on who you ask.

I can contribute to cross-country trips and washboard/overland trips. If you are carrying spare parts for such trips, that means you've probably missed some preventive or regular maintenance. Or you have cheap/crappy aftermarket parts in your truck. For example, there is no point in carrying an ignition rod, you should have replaced it at your convenience well ahead of a trip. Likewise, you need to look at each item on the above lists others have linked. And do the preventive maintenance with those parts for peace of mind. It's not fun to do repairs on the side of the road.

These trucks aren't failing that often, there isn't much to worry about if you have yours baselined and the most common preventive maint taken care of.
Good point, I should say that I am in the same mindset I usually will replace everything that could go out and keep the working old part as the spare, on my previous vehicles and originally being in Florida now in Idaho I never had to really worry about being that far off the beaten path. I think from all the responeses I have a good Idea of what to carry for spares and it's mostly common sense. It would really just be the tiny quirks of the this vehicle in particular where some sensor has a habit of going out and causing absolute non-driving situation.

a wise man @mcgaskins has the following in his Spare Kit: Sat Phone, water, emergency blanket and granola bars to wait for help to arrive.

a wise man @mcgaskins has the following in his Spare Kit: Sat Phone, water, emergency blanket and granola bars to wait for help to arrive.

Good call but these are not « spare parts kit ».

If I take your angle, let’s add toilet paper 🧻 to the list … and so on !

It would really just be the tiny quirks of the this vehicle in particular where some sensor has a habit of going out and causing absolute non-driving situation.
Keep us updated on those sensors prone to fail

Good call but these are not « spare parts kit ».

If I take your angle, let’s add toilet paper 🧻 to the list … and so on !
the point is dont stress, if you maintain your rig you shouldnt have to worry too much. Dont bounce on rocks and pull winch line instead of trying to floor it up an obstacle. Most of our wheeling in the USA isnt too far from a Napa or Shop that could help....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom