Whats broken in my driveline?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay so after a trip up the beach my LS swapped 80 has some issues. Whenever I engage the CDL and get up to speed normally 3rd or 4th gear then let off or clutch in there is a bad grinding noise coning from somewhere in the drive line. I’ve drained the oil from the front diff and it was clean as no metal, the front prop shaft slip joint uni joints are fine. So I was thinking it must be the transfer case or gearbox but then if I remove the front prop shaft and engage the CDL the grinding noise goes away and when I’m going around town with just the rear wheels engaged it’s fine.
I’m thinking it’s the transfer case but any other ideas??

check your u joints first. bet its in the driveline. Had a similar issue with my driveshaft after many years and a trip to the Black Rock Desert.

Okay so after a trip up the beach my LS swapped 80 has some issues. Whenever I engage the CDL and get up to speed normally 3rd or 4th gear then let off or clutch in there is a bad grinding noise coning from somewhere in the drive line. I’ve drained the oil from the front diff and it was clean as no metal, the front prop shaft slip joint uni joints are fine. So I was thinking it must be the transfer case or gearbox but then if I remove the front prop shaft and engage the CDL the grinding noise goes away and when I’m going around town with just the rear wheels engaged it’s fine.
I’m thinking it’s the transfer case but any other ideas??
Not trying to be a smart ass but are driving around town with your center diff locked, in 4wd on the road? That is a good way to damage things. CDL should only be engaged on loose surfaces like dirt. If you are on pavement with cdl locked you will have binding in the drive train. That binding wont happen if you remove the front (or rear) drive shaft because it is running in 2wd then.

Not trying to be a smart ass but are driving around town with your center diff locked, in 4wd on the road? That is a good way to damage things. CDL should only be engaged on loose surfaces like dirt. If you are on pavement with cdl locked you will have binding in the drive train. That binding wont happen if you remove the front (or rear) drive shaft because it is running in 2wd then.
You know I might have when I first got the car but I wouldn’t of had the front hubs locked in anyway so I’m not sure if that would cause any binding anyway but the issues has only happened now, maybe I weakened it

Noise on deceleration is often worn out uni joints.

You won't do any damage driving with the CDL locked and the front shaft removed.

If you still have the front shaft out, try rotating the uni joints in every direction. They should move freely and smoothly.
If it feels rough at all, uni joints are toast.
Best to replace them with Toyota joints

If the shaft is still in the car, grease the uni joints fully and see if it makes a difference. If it does, uni joints are toast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom