1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whatcha's opinion on this welder?

Discussion in 'Tools and Fabrication' started by Mr.Bryan, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Mr.Bryan

Mr.Bryan

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2594653910&category=45031

I found this and it interestes me. I am looking to get a welder so I can start screwin around with crap and I was thinking this might be a cool thing to do. No dual battery set up and its portable.

Cool gizmo? peice of crap? Opinions?

-Bryan

2. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    I am still reading....................

3. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    for that price, you can pick up a used stick welder....hell, for less than that. Guessing my Miller Thunderbolt would go for about $100 (if it were for sale...)

4. Junk

Junk

It's a piece of s***. Learn more about what you want to do before you buy something. I'm not trying to sound like a jackass, I am one. Seriously, learn more, then buy. For heaven's sake, don't start out with mig. It's too easy to make purty welds that don't hold.

5. Mr.Bryan

Mr.Bryan

Well, thanks for the info.
    Junk- Which particular type of welder should I start out with to learn skills?

Thanks,
    Bryan

6. yooper

yooper SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Bryan,

I'll sell you my used Century 110V 105A MIG welder for $350. I think the model # is 117, made in '96. Comes with a bunch of wire. Ready for gas, but I don't have a tank or regulator at the moment- I'm just doing flux core booger welds. Works fine. I'm just not using it much and it's taking up space in the garage.

It's a good learner unit - pretty powerful and very adjustable and easy to use.

7. yooper

yooper SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Oh yeah, forgot to say: Junk knows his sh!t but I don't see much point in learning to stick weld first and then spending more money on a MIG welder. No reason you can't learn to make strong MIG welds on miscellaneous non-life threatening projects - I just started welding together pieces of scrap and hammering them apart again or cutting it open to look inside the bead until I figured out how to make a strong weld, and then built things like fishing rod racks and garden tools, or repaired my deck furniture. It's not rocket science, just takes practice. If you have the time and opportunity, formal training is the way to go - adult education classes at your local community college or whatever.

8. mobi-arc

mobi-arc

We're inherently biased, but the MOBI-ARC provides much more flexibility, as you can connect the MOBI-ARC to almost any alternator. This system referenced above is an option, provided you have room to add a second alternator.

www.mobi-arc.com

[​IMG]

[stream=256,256]http://www.mobi-arc.com/MOBIPPWEB_files/file0012.wmv[/stream]

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">