What year Tacoma (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok guys. I own a Landcruiser 60 series so I’m on the forum. Jumping over here to get your opinions on Tacoma’s. I am interested buying one but don’t want a brand new one. Way too expensive. What years and models are y’all liking these days? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thx

j

Second Gen, from 2007 (I think) to 2015. Get the TRD Off Road with A-Trac and you'll be surprised with what it will do.

First gen all the way. 4cyl 5 speed, manual shift transfer case (in the 2000 any way). Boy I miss mine!

IMG_20180520_193150.jpg

1st gen. 2001-2004 preferably but any year will do. The earlier years had some subtle changes between them.

My 1999 3rz 5 speed with stick 4lo/hi shifter and roll down windows without ABS. Bare bones but does have an AC. I’ll likely take it to the grave as it’ll never leave my stable. There may be others, but this one stays.
64F5D8E5-C261-454A-9E78-D5AB35CD5519.jpeg

2nd generation....'05-15.....some years better than others....they say....

bought my '14 used 2 yrs ago with 70K...now 84K ish.....manual shift are less common....as my '14

Just sold our '05 recently.....had it for 14+ yrs...trouble free basically.....its a Tacoma's sellers market

replaced '05 Taco DC SB with an '11 GX 460.....pic my '14

w8tkwR8.jpg

Here's some of the items that pushed me towards a new 3rd gen over a 2nd gen:

More aggressive front end styling
Power driver seat
Power sliding rear window
Factory bed lights
Wireless charging for phone :)princess: wife wanted this)
Leather interior ( :princess: wife also wanted this)

If you’re looking used, the ‘01-‘04 Doublecab are by far my favorite. We had an ‘01 for 8 years. It was fantastic.

I’m not a fan of the ‘05 to ‘15 era. The ‘16+ ones are a lot better looking in my eyes.

Wow that's a nice truck with super low miles. That's going to be a great score for someone. I'm up to 107K but just getting broken in.

All years are good except 2016. They had some issues and would avoid that year. Lots of folks at Tacomaworld would agree. I like 1st gens and 2012+ 2nd gens. The headlights on 2006-2011 don't age well and are too bulbous looking. I've got a 2012 RC 2.7 auto and love it. I haven't driven any third gens, but they look good too.

IMG_1526.JPG

Someone told me the 2016 up are not as good as 2015 down? Anyone know why?
2016 + got a 3.5 Highlander motor to replace the awesome 4.0 . 2016/2017 Automatic trans had problems with the transmission not sure about the 2018 and above .
I had a 2017 Tacoma with the 4cyl manual transmission and was a great truck till I got hit and totaled the truck .
Now I have a 2015 with a 4cyl but auto , nothing exciting but gets the job done , its my work truck now keeps the 200 LC from getting beat up .

I'd champion the 2nd gen TRD Offroad as well. The 4.0 V6 is awesome -I know people that went from 2nd gen Taco to a 3rd gen and were disappointed with the power band of the 3.5 until they regeared to 4.88s (at which time, might as well install a front locker, do a lift kit....)

I have an 08 TRD sport that I bought certified used back in 2011. Love the truck. Went TRD Sport because at the time, the TRD Offroad trucks in my price range had issues with ring and pinions in the rear self destructing. I also like the design of the 8.4" diff a bit more.

Overall, I love my Tacoma, but I also beat the living snot out of it.
TacoMEG.jpg

Gen 1. It'll be the most familiar size, and the 3.4 is a good engine. Have a gen 2, like it, 6 speed is nice, better gas mileage, 4.0 is a solid engine with enough torque. Not a fan of gen 3, only 5% are manuals, do not like the 3.5's power band, and feels like the tacoma is moving towards being a family vehicle instead of a workhorse. Just my opinion, plenty of disagreement. If its a DD plus some OR I'd go gen 2, but if it is mainly for fun and OR gen 1 all the way.

I would avoid 2016 / 2017 both had transmission and Speedometer electrical problems .

I figure the first year (or two) of a new generation should be avoided in order to work out all of the kinks in the new design. I have a friend that had a 95, 05 and 16 tacoma (all bought new) and they had issues. That said, they bought intermediate year Tacomas (in their case, 04, 11 and 19) and didn't have any issues with those.

I was thinking about a first gen but ended up getting a t100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom