What was the Warn called before 5687? Belleview winch? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Used the search function for this forum but haven’t found info on here or google that quite answers my query

i have two winches both early 70’s I believe... both work well and one has all cables, no knife switch but no problem... although the brake shoe is kinda cracking away...

The other winch has only the brake cable or it may be the shifting cable but thats it... is has a good shoe on the brake. Yet it works and just needs alube job maybe.

Here my concern with images attached

The one I had first is a Belleview winch ...only a numbered etched into it is legible and I can barely read on it a distributed by Berens Associated (I think) and Oakland ca.. there is something around where the number is scribed but I cannot decipher it.

The next winch appears identical but it is inscribed with model number, serial number, warn etc.... and Seattle wash.

The question is I can’t find the berens info on this one one or Oakland etc...

Could this one be a newer winch model than my winch that doesn’t have anything inscribed but a serial number?

Thanks
CF0A7927-2697-45F3-94F7-B2D670641682.jpeg
6D88DA72-89C1-4234-8E17-0F48BB6A2D3C.jpeg

i have an old catalog from berens associates they sold accesories and parts for toyota back in the day

Warn used Belleview Manufacturing to actually make their locking hubs and winches in the early days. The first winch model that I can find a reference to is the M6000 in the late 1950's, which became (was also known as) the Belleview.

Awesome for the catalog upload...I saved it to Photos. (finder Download) SO I guess I am to assume that 1. I have 2 of the 5687's winches and one just isn't inscribed with all the info like the one that is with all the Warn info...or I have a Belleview before Warn started putting the Warn bought the? I know they both work, i just wanted to see info that would let me deduce if they would be interchangeable

hence the concern about if the two winches were the same or from warn and different years etc. but it appears from reading the catalog they may be the same winch just different on the gear box with the markings...

thanks for the catalog upload!

Better images
Is one older than the other..
Ones Oakland, CA.
The other is Seattle, WA.

I believe if I squint I can see warn winch and a corner price of the big “W” on the third image. I don’t know why the serial number is inscribed but model number is not.

5687 has a notch by the motor housing the other does not... the one that says warn 5687 motor is rotated s but more so the power terminal is different than my other

Are the parts on these interchangeable since I assume they are the same type and make and just maybe different years?
AECEB4FF-FD20-4583-BDBE-ABFF01B3A773.jpeg

7D85F6CD-026D-44BF-884D-BACDEFB197B7.jpeg
2B928317-2783-4FCD-A0BF-59B56A4FA3F1.jpeg
C9AF71F2-014A-4334-A8CD-114E0414EF72.jpeg

They would've both been made in the same place.

The one stamped JV4 would probably be made in October, 30 1964. This is assuming it follows the same date codes as the M8274 does:

• The first letter stands for the month the winch was made (A=1, B=2, C=3, etc.). Therefore, with your example, J would equal the 10th month: October

• The second letter stands for the working day of the month, not including Saturdays or Sundays. Our example says "V," which would be the 30th working day of the month.

• The ending number represents the year the winch was made. In this example, it's 4, so that'd be 1964. The M8274 started in 1974, so it wouldn't be that, and the winch wasn't brought to market until 1959.
The first one is likely a 1959 or 1960s model; that'd be my guess.

I have a ol Belleview winch that I bought and rebuilt, it's pre Warn. Just finished installing it on my CJ3B. I was missing the controls but bought cables from Napa and used a solenoid instead of a knife switch.

My Belleview winch installation

No saturdays or sundays counted.. but 30 working days in a month?

No saturdays or sundays counted.. but 30 working days in a month?

V=22nd letter of the (26 character) alphabet, so actually the 22nd working day of the month.

Now you’re cookin with propane and propane accessories!

Does anyone have a mounting pattern or bolt pattern measurements?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom