What type MSD ignition control you guys recommend? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys,

What type of MSD ignition control you are using on your 40's? What's the experience?

TIA

gado

I don't recommend them for the F/2F because my experience is that they only empty your wallet.

So, what you guys are using instead?

TIA

gado

MSD=multiple spark discharge in theory is awsome........we were using them a lot on high milage European motors coupled with the Allison optic ignition later bought out by Crane and renamed Crane "Fireball" where the Bosch distributor cam was worn and with dual points was nearly impossible to tune!
Reality is after being around them for about 20 years is that they do not hold up and are expensive and IMHO do not offer any detectable advantage over a well set up/functioning stock TOYOTA system...original Toyota is hard to beat......there was a Mallory electronic ignition for the 2F motor that seemed to do quite well.......have not seen one for several years; anyone care to comment on advantages 'tween Mallory/Crane or Pertronix systems.........

Lou

i wouldnt get one. mine was instaled by the po and its been a pain in the ass. they're made here in elpaso and the customer serviece was horrible. the only reason its still on is that i made the investment to fix it once. if it blows a third time i'm going back to stock

wells.jack......are you refering to the MSD?; past experience with C. support was marginal at best; things might have changed over the last 7-8 years......my 0,02

Lou

i use the MSD 6A and have had no problems with it. but i run a 350 chevy, and i bought mine when they first came out. its been on three different rigs since i bought it.

Hmm..... I have ran a MSD 6a On my F then 2F for the better part of 10 years with no issues. Works well with the Non U.S. distributor and pertronix too. I did mount the MSD box in the cab though. I have never ran one under the hood. I don't know if that has any effect on how they work over the long run.

same experience........ran older ones 15 years or more;newer units just did not seem to stand up.........IMO something changed in the design/reliability.............still have an old MSD tester somewhere around the shop so we could test the units that we thought were failing before sending them back to customer support.....IMHO original toyota ignitions are hard to beat.........have to put things into perspective; this is a low reving truck engine and just needs a dependable spark............

Lou

opps, i have a msd setup. kinda forgot to mention that:eek:

I have run a MSD 6T for more than 12 years in my FJ40. The 6T model supposedly has more internal bracing and corrosion protection than other models. I had mine mounted on the passenger fender next to the battery and never had any problems. I bought it originally as a band-aid to help solve some plug-fouling and high rpm stumbling I was having. It worked well.

Funny you post this today, because I just removed my MSD last night. When I was pulling it I was thinking that it was one of my better purchases. My 2F finally died after 300K miles and I'm stripping it out for a Vortec swap. I may have the MSD in the for sale section soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom