What to choose, Dana 60 or Diamond??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, getting ready to upgrade the rear axle assembly. There is a Dana 60 from ECGS and a Diamond housing rear from Justdifferentials. NOT debating which company is better, I was wanting to know is there anything that stands out good or bad for either axle assembly. Price is about the same,Dana 60 has bolt on rear cover... What else? thanks.

The add ons are ridiculously overpriced with that Dana 60. $560 for backing plates!!!

From 1 site I looked at OEM backing plates were just over $ 300.00 each.
$560 for a pair is not bad.
You have a link for a better price for OEM ?

Ah, I was thinking of brake shields! Sorry about that. Long day..... and quick reading.

If I had the coin, I'd do the Diamond. I recently delved into this because I broke another 8" ring gear that's only 3 months old. I'm going the poverty route and sourced a 8.2" axle from a junkyard 150 platform (4Runner). Too early to start the build thread, but I will once it commences.

Do you really need all new axle shafts/bearings/backing plates, or can you simply extract your axle assemblies and bolt them onto the D60?

I run a mid 80s Dodge truck D60 in the rear of my truck but being standard duty 60, I would have to bore the spindles if I wanted to step up to 35 spline shafts. At that point, this axle isn't worth the cost and effort. For that reason, if I were you - I would go with a D60 HD since the inner diameter of the spindles will accomodate 35 spline shafts or go with a Diamond axle assuming you can install 35 spline shafts in it without much hassle. What WMS-WMS width do you need?

If I had the coin, I'd do the Diamond. I recently delved into this because I broke another 8" ring gear that's only 3 months old. I'm going the poverty route and sourced a 8.2" axle from a junkyard 150 platform (4Runner). Too early to start the build thread, but I will once it commences.

Do you really need all new axle shafts/bearings/backing plates, or can you simply extract your axle assemblies and bolt them onto the D60?
NO, I don't need them... But without the ability to press off and on hub bearings and all that, a bolt on package is very appealing.
AND, having a complete , ready to bolt up take off axle would be appealing to somebody else.
8.2, ARB locker, 4.88 geared, Chro mo shafts....... I also can't get up under the hood to plumb in the locker, so I will be looking for some help I can trust. I could be hitting up your "buddies" and the extra assembly would be in your neighborHOOD :cool:

@LowDown , good points made me think and do more research. The D60 option says this, (refers to locker option)

Retains stock brakes and shafts with 30 spline OX only! All other locker options require 35 spline shaft upgrade (Upgrade shafts below)

The Diamond option is set up for 30 spline chromo axles, and all brakes,bearings etc... will still be good.

wms-wms ? no clue, whatevah FJC stock width is, I assume.

From a friend that went the Diamond route with his GX, he said you could extract the entire axle/brake assembly (no bearing pressing needed), just the 4 nuts behind the backing plate, and then bolt stock axles to the new housing.

Any consideration for the Currie 9 inch ?

@Whiskerz , well I do know that Currie has a good rep! The "Rock Jock" is sweet but is high pinion and requires driveshaft modification. Then another custom driveshaft is needed if anything ever goes wrong. Just the way I think...
The F60 as far as I can tell is twin to the Diamond axle housing. And the gear sets they advertise are 4.30, 4.57, 4.86, 5.29.
I need 4.88, or I have to re gear the front... NO . Could be just a gear head typo? 4.86 is 4.88, I don't know, yet.
But thanks, I had over looked Currie in my search.

Last edited:
@Whiskerz , ok more coffee and research... Ford gear set is 4.86 and the reason why.

Is the difference between 4.86 and 4.88 enough to matter ? my math says 12 rpm difference at 47.77 mph

Now the plot thickens. It looks like the 9 inch may be a viable option.

Off the Currie website on the F9. ** * Note Gear Ratio *** below.

Built to the legendary Currie Standard with features that include:

• Heavy Duty Currie F9 fabricated 9-inch housing with custom housing ends that accept stock style axle bearings
  • Nodular iron "Race" gear case setup for 35-spline axles with choice of gear ratio and differential
  • Large 3-inch diameter .250 thick axle tubes deliver superior strength without sacrificing ground clearance or being overweight
  • Currie Performance 35-spline 4340 chrome moly semi-floating axles with stock FJ 6 lug wheel bolt pattern and disk brake register diameter
  • Built to OE specification to match factory FJ Cruiser suspension fitment and overall width.

Looking for something different? Click on Live Chat or call (714) 528-6957 to speak with an expert to build the custom solution that meets your needs

Notes:

Lubrication Requirements
- 9-inch rearends use a high-offset hypoid gear design that requires a sever duty gear oil with API GL-6 rating. Use of oil not meeting the GL-6 rating will damage the gears and bearings and void the Currie Warranty

Assembly Required - Axle bearing are shipped separately (not pressed on the axle) so that the factory emergency brake components can be installed. The stock axles will need to have the bearings pressed off to recover the factory brake components, then the components can be placed on the new axle, and the new bearings can be pressed on. A local off-road shop, Toyota dealer or machine shop can perform the work.

Gear Ratio - 4 WD applications require front and rear gear ratios to match, so verify your factory ratio before ordering

Drive Shaft - The stock drive shaft will require modification for length and u-joint size

Sway Bar - The factory rear sway bar cannot be used, with the RockJock 60

Axle Width - The RockJock 60 matches the stock FJ axle width of 66 inches

Bolt Pattern - Stock FJ Cruiser wheel bolt pattern 6 on 5.5" (139.7 mm) with 12 mm stud

OH, and both the F9 and the rockjock require "driveshaft modification" See above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom