What to choose, Dana 60 or Diamond???

BMThiker

I aim to misbehave
SILVER Star

Yes, I saw that statement. Length change, I get and is not a major deal. What's vague to me is "u-joint size" modification. There is not an explanation as to why they could not put a OEM drive flange on the input of the 3rd member. Then all you would need to do is modify the length and keep everything else "Toyota". Does the Ford 9 used a u-bolt flange or something else?

Most Ford 9 inch rears use a U-bolt flange. I am pretty sure even the 1310 which is small is larger than a Toyota u-joint

After a discussion with a good buddy, I am now leaning toward the diamond. His argument was, IF you ever blow up your rear while wheeling, those around you will know more about a Toyota 9.5 then a Dana. And having a "drop out" third makes sense. Simple and to the point. exactly what I needed to hear.
Thanks Nick, You ROCK!

BMThiker

I aim to misbehave
SILVER Star

Good point. Finally got my 8.2" done this weekend. Write up appearing soon.

If I was in your situation I would go with the Dana 60. I have the 8.2 in mine and the way I wheel it`s only a matter of time before I am replacing another R/P and or bending the rear diff. No way would I do the HP rock jock unless your into replacing the R/P, do a little research you will discover it`s really not your best bet. The Ford 9 a good choice with the third bearing for support but they are not as efficient in rolling resistance, they have more drag or rolling resistance. If one goes to trueHi9 they have a real good photo comparison of various ring gears. One option is if you wanted one diff that you could really hammer on and not worry about, however you would have to do away with your rear ABS would be ECGS 14 Bolt option. Now that thing is sexy.

If I was in your situation I would go with the Dana 60. I have the 8.2 in mine and the way I wheel it`s only a matter of time before I am replacing another R/P and or bending the rear diff. No way would I do the HP rock jock unless your into replacing the R/P, do a little research you will discover it`s really not your best bet. The Ford 9 a good choice with the third bearing for support but they are not as efficient in rolling resistance, they have more drag or rolling resistance. If one goes to trueHi9 they have a real good photo comparison of various ring gears. One option is if you wanted one diff that you could really hammer on and not worry about, however you would have to do away with your rear ABS would be ECGS 14 Bolt option. Now that thing is sexy.
Thanks for your input. I however am a crawler, skill or finesse is my style of wheeling. I don't "Hammer" .

Top Bottom