What the hell.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On my spare tire carrier for my 80' fj40 the bushings have gone bad where it pivots on and i have the replacement bushings but i can't for the life of me remove the two pins that hold it on!! I have pb blast it, taken a sledge with a punch to it. But nothing. Is there some sort of trick to get the pins out?

when I did mine years ago,I used heat, at the tme it didn't matter to me what the paint looked like so I went at it with the torch then drove them out.

wow, hold on. Do you own or have access to a press?? if you do use it with the appropiate adaptor as not to damage the carrier itself.

On my spare tire carrier for my 80' fj40 the bushings have gone bad where it pivots on and i have the replacement bushings but i can't for the life of me remove the two pins that hold it on!! I have pb blast it, taken a sledge with a punch to it. But nothing. Is there some sort of trick to get the pins out?

I did all that. Those pins don't move. I finally ground the weld from the inside and split them to get the pins out. Installed new boshings and clamped them back together. Welded them up, a little paint, they are good now.

I finally ground the weld from the inside and split them to get the pins out. Installed new boshings and clamped them back together. Welded them up, a little paint, they are good now.

Thats the only way.........

I had a friend with a press. I tried the big hammer and heat and PB Blaster for a week before I gave up. After seeing how much power it took to finally get the pins out I would say a press is a must for this job.

Why the heck do they put those pins in there with so much force. There is a machine shop around the corner from my house i might check out and see if they would press out for a couple of bucks.

I did all that. Those pins don't move. I finally ground the weld from the inside and split them to get the pins out. Installed new boshings and clamped them back together. Welded them up, a little paint, they are good now.

Yep, same here. Only I drilled holes to bolt them back together rather than re-weld.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom