What spare parts should I carry in my 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have replaced a lot of parts on my 1996 80. But I want to have some backup parts and fix any issues at home vs the trail , if possible.
. Can you more experienced 80 owners give me your opinions? Also, is there already a list on this site concerning this information.? Any "ticking time bombs" I should know about?
Done the PHH, Radiator, hoses, T stat, Fan clutch, o2 sensors , and all suspension bushings.

Please enlighten me with your knowledge.:)

Thanks for your input.

That's a great question, I can't believe no one has thought to ask that before.

1588458141324.png

That's a great question, I can't believe no one has thought to ask that before.

View attachment 2293097
Thanks. You pointed me in the right direction. Looks like I have to take a pie in the face, but it's all good. I will dive in after I open a bottle of beer. :beer:🥧

This was helpful for me

Dang, saucy AND helpful. Much better than my past responses for using the search function. You guys and gals are the best. Keep up the good work.

Alright!! I had a piece of pie and a beer, and learned some things today;). Is this a great country, or What!!!

I always love the info that flows out of this forum. Picked up a fusible link today and since I don't have a parts rig to tow, I will have to get a bigger parts box for the back of my rig, to load up all these parts. Thanks for the info...:steer:

There's an observed "Rule of the Universe", sort of like Murphy's Law, that speaks to the inherent perversity of the universe.
- Whatever you have a spare of along with - will never fail...

Fusible link. Throw it in the glove box.

Kitchen sink and cell phone.

But seriously I think everything above should cover you.

In terms of tools, I’m in the same boat as landcruiserphil. Any repairs that require a socket wrench should be done at home, unless you are overland touring (weeks in the bush).

I keep a small tool kit with me in my old Army trifold medic bag. About 20 pounds of stuff total, but my most used tools out in the field for me are (in no particular order): crescent wrench, small hammer, shovel, tape, and zip ties.

But I’m just a weekend warrior. Your requirements may be different.

B9499D37-DB55-440F-86A3-1C2FFF0859F7.jpeg

Last edited:
I limit my tools and repair parts to ~100lbs after almost 100K I have used/needed a fusible link.

My goal is to do repairs and maintenance at home and not open my hood once I leave.
I think this speaks volumes. So many people massively overload their truck with unbelievable amounts of tools and spares its ridiculous. After 100k miles of adventure travel you've needed a fusible link once that weighs a couple of ounces. I think fusible links/fuses/small amount of fluids/tire plug kit/duct tape/BFH/zip ties/wire/small tool kit is enough for 99.9% of people and situations. Being prepared is great, but if your truck is well taken care of and up to snuff before you even set off in the first place, like it should be, so much of this sh*t is unnecessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom