What SMB350?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.thebj73.com
Hi all,
I need your help for the choice of a V8 Chevy engine for my project " HellToy ".
I asked questions on French speaker forums but no definite answer to take a choice then I turn to you who are experts.
Here are my questions :
Where to buy a crate engine or Ready-To-Run engine? Jegs, Summit?
I shall wish an engine with Edelbrock injection but it's more expensive than a carburetor what you think?
I thought of this engine : : GM Goodwrench 1996-2000 5.7L 350 Truck Engine - JEGS with this injection: Edelbrock 35000 - Edelbrock Pro-Flo² EFI Systems - JEGS it's a good choice?
Otherwise in ready-to-run and in carburetor I thought of this engine :
GM Performance Parts 350 HO Turn-Key Engine - JEGS ????

Thank you for your precious advice because I'm novice in V8 engine and I really don't know what is needed or not needed for offroad use.

Tlcbj73
icon_wink.gif

You would be crazy to buy a new GM motor. You can get a 5.3 with low miles for less than $1500 and that motor kicks ass.

I just went through this decision process recently and came to this same conclusion. I'm just now getting started on putting a low miles 5.3 vortec in my cruiser. If you want an automatic tranny then the 4L60e that comes mated to most 5.3s makes the swap pretty easy. A manual transmission behind the 5.3 is only slightly more difficult.

one other option might be the RamJet 350. That way your fuel injection comes with the motor.

You would be crazy to buy a new GM motor. You can get a 5.3 with low miles for less than $1500 and that motor kicks ass.
Hi wngrog,
No I 'm not crazy but it's necessary to understand that I live in France and here they don't find V8 engine for $1500 and if they find it they are in very poor state and it me shall cost dearer than to order a new. I have a friend bought Dodgew200 and his engine was in very poor state and this be going to cost to him between 3000 and 4000 € (5600$) and perhaps more to do again it!! You understand now my decision to buy new motor.

Thanks to all for your answers and if you have other suggestions do not hesitate
icon_wink.gif

Tlcbj73

I went with the Ram Jet 350 in my FJ40 and LOVE it. comes complete with EFI and even the plugs installed so there is nothing to mess with. Northwest Cruisers of Idaho - Michael Borg (Fred The Monster)

Hi,
Thank you for this answer and I really think buy this type of engine because question report quality / price it's the best and for me the most important it was to have minimum 300cv, an injection and that the engine is new.
Could you say to me if it's this engine which you have on your fj40: GM Performance 12499120 - GM Performance Parts Ram Jet 350 C.I.D. 350 HP Engine Assemblies - summitracing.com if it is I think order it before some months.

Thanks a lot because I succeed finally in having answers to my questions.

that is the one. I am not sure if they will ship to France but here is where I got mine ( Gilbert Chevrolet ) and they are FANTASTIC to work with. Call the number and talk to Scott -- he is the technical support guy and he will be completely honest with you.

Also, I would consider purchasing one of the air filters when you buy the motor (via summit or wherever) because it fits perfect on the motor and it really flows well.

tlcbj73,

If you would like to use a vortec I know of a junkyard that sells them for very low miles and whatever else you need for it. We can ship to France, I just sent 4 roll cages to Switzerland and another cage to the UK yesterday. The guy in Switzerland works for Fed Ex so he might be able to get you a pretty good discount on shipping. Let me know and I would be more than happy to help you.

LT

A vote for hooking up with LT for your engine. If he says he'll help and get it done he will. Good people at metaltech.
I would look hard at an LQ4 which is the 6.0L vortec. good motors.
Don't pass that offer from LT up.

tlcbj73,

If you would like to use a vortec I know of a junkyard that sells them for very low miles and whatever else you need for it. We can ship to France, I just sent 4 roll cages to Switzerland and another cage to the UK yesterday. The guy in Switzerland works for Fed Ex so he might be able to get you a pretty good discount on shipping. Let me know and I would be more than happy to help you.

LT
Hi LT,
Thank you for your help,
I live near Geneva, could you say to me if the guy who order you engine also lives near Geneva? It's possible to contact it?
You can contact me by personal e-mail : bj73@club-internet.fr

that is the one. I am not sure if they will ship to France but here is where I got mine ( Gilbert Chevrolet ) and they are FANTASTIC to work with. Call the number and talk to Scott -- he is the technical support guy and he will be completely honest with you.

Also, I would consider purchasing one of the air filters when you buy the motor (via summit or wherever) because it fits perfect on the motor and it really flows well.
Hi,
which elements lack in the motor so that it is ready-to-run? I would like to order all to be quiet except steering pomp but for the rest I need what? Alternator, belt,… which is the additional cost to have an engine ready-to-run?

Thanks to all
Tlcbj73

Hi all,

Finally I have decide to trust in LT and to buy from him a 6.0 vortec engine with LTB tires in 47/17x15 and for the time being I don't regret my decision. I live in France and in spite of distance and language barrier LT been very patient with me and allowed me to accomplish my dream and for this I thank it . For the time being my order is always in your nice country but she should leave via DHL tomorrow to arrive in France at the end of this month. I am really impatient !!
Really I thank Metaltech4x4 and LT for their seriousness and I recommend you this firm especially if you live in the United States.
By waiting see the pics of the engine and the tyres that LT send to me :

vortec02.jpg

vortec03.jpg

vortec04.jpg

vortec05.jpg

LTB_1.jpg

LTB_2.jpg

LTB_3.jpg

Thanks to all for your advice and particularly in LT
icon_wink.gif

Regards,
Tlcbj73

Last edited:
Last edited:
you will be pleased with that 6.0, it's just an absolute beast of an engine....big block performance with small block weight....oh and if you want to purdy it up some you can use LS1 fuel rail covers on it (ebay).....do you have a build thread for this helltoy project anywhere or pics? it sounds interesting, those are some BIG freaking tires man!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom