What Should I Find When I Remove Paint? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've started prepping for blasting/stripping the old finish off my '70 FJ40, and I'm finding the usual small spots of bondo, a bit of rust (not TOO much), a couple of welded patches/plugs...

I'm also finding this phenomenon: topcoat of Spring Green T1028, red primer underneath, thick (1-2mm) layer of white/gray material (seems like a filler), clean shiny metal. (I will get some photos soon to help illustrate this.)

So far, I'm seeing it on the left rear quarter and the driver door. Almost like someone coated the metal with a thick layer of something before they painted?

I don't know if the finish is original Spring Green, but it seems so (firewall tag is missing...).

Opinions?

Thanks,

Jim

You can usually find traces of the original color under the dash:beer:

Believe it or not the factory used body-filler on the production line. I have found it on original paint vehicles. Applied to flawless metal, it (filler) will last a long, long, long time. The factory was also generous with the "orange peel" paint effect. I agree with Blueticker17, reddish ("oxblood") primer is standard for spring green, white, others for that vintage. I have a 71 with that primer as well.

primer/filler

The stuff is referred to as primer filler, the previous posters seem to have the Paul Harvey on the OEM process. It's like prime but build up thick almost like the glazing compound you use over bondo. It builds up thick quickly so you an get a good flat sanding job.

Thanks all! I'm seeing exactly what you described.

Any recommendations on restoring this finish? Should I use the factory method?

Jim

I don't know if the finish is original Spring Green, but it seems so (firewall tag is missing.

Just an FYI the tag would have been on the passenger's fender not the fire wall. It would have been mounted beside the battery box. Not sure the 70 had the paint code. I know my 68 didn't have it, not sure about my 73 never checked but it's still has the factory paint.

John

Roger on the mfg tag location. I knew that...must have been my Gulf War syndrome acting up...

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom