What should I be checking before going on a long trip? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an old 2014 LX 570 with 170K miles. I planned to travel over 18+ hours one way this summer. Since this is an older vehicle with higher milage, what should I be checking for before this trip? Here's what I have done so far.
  1. All four rotors changed
  2. All four break pads are new
  3. AHC fluids flushed
  4. Oil changed last October
One other thing I'm wondering about are the rear/front differential and transfer case fluid flush. Should I be worry about power steering fluids and coolant flush? What about transmission fluid?

Thank you for any tips/suggestions.

You’re really asking about regular interval maintenance items, if those items are close to their intervals then I’d do them before.

For me, before a big trip I rotate my tires. This lets me get a good look at the suspension and check my brakes and wherever else is visible with the tires off and I’ll hit all the zerks as well. I may do the oil depending on how much is left on its interval mileage or how long my trip is. I’ll also check the tires for anything suspicious.

Another thing to consider is your emergency kit. Food, water, extra clothes, tire repair, tools… do you have items that will get you out of a jam should you break down in the middle of nowhere?

Windshield washing fluid gets topped off and I fill up the gas tanks and hit the road.

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated! I purchased this vehicle used and I don't know what was the last time they've done all that interval maintenance. It runs fine with no issues. I've just tested all the 4Lo, diff. lock, MTS, crawl, etc. and it seems to be fine no issues...no Christmas lights in the dashboard. :)

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated! I purchased this vehicle used and I don't know what was the last time they've done all that interval maintenance. It runs fine with no issues. I've just tested all the 4Lo, diff. lock, MTS, crawl, etc. and it seems to be fine no issues...no Christmas lights in the dashboard. :)

I would baseline it then.

Maybe me, but I consider a 2014 @170k to be just broken in. I trust my 2009 to roadtrip safer and more reliably than anything else. Now a dometic or european car at that mileage...old.

It's good to baseline or at a minimum check fluid level on all those things if you don't know where they stand.

The one thing I would pay attention to more is the coolant system and fill level. Check the radiator for the common stress riser at the top (take off beauty panels to check). At this mileage, should definitely be addressed if it hasn't already as that can be a show stopper.

The starter may be another...do you know if it's been replaced its lifetime? They've been known to abruptly fail with no warning in higher mileage.

Last year I confiscated my '03 from my son in Washington after he neglected it for years. Limped to a few gas stations at midnight, looking for air for the tires and a well-lit space to look it over. 7.5 hours driving later I made it to my brother's house in Idaho, and we went out for breakfast. Washed the slime off the cruiser, looked it over in daylight, parked it. My plan is to drive it to Fort Myers from Idaho, shouldn't need more than an oil change. My brother says it has a leaky tire, and there seems to be an electrical drain, I'll add a battery disconnect for long sits and throw a jump-start pack in it.

This is a neglected Land Cruiser. If your Land Cruiser has been maintained at the lowest standards Toyota recommends, it is ready to drive cross-country.

I'd consider a tire swap to get better mpgs. I drove 13 hours each way (single day sprints) and would have enjoyed the +2mpg highway tires provide. I ran the AT in case I got some free time to explore (CA foothills area), but didn't have the time and would have been better served on the HT.

Maybe me, but I consider a 2014 @170k to be just broken in. I trust my 2009 to roadtrip safer and more reliably than anything else. Now a dometic or european car at that mileage...old.

It's good to baseline or at a minimum check fluid level on all those things if you don't know where they stand.

The one thing I would pay attention to more is the coolant system and fill level. Check the radiator for the common stress riser at the top (take off beauty panels to check). At this mileage, should definitely be addressed if it hasn't already as that can be a show stopper.

The starter may be another...do you know if it's been replaced its lifetime? They've been known to abruptly fail with no warning in higher mileage.
No, I don't know if the starter has been replaced or not. If it's the original, it's something I could replace with a new OEM, correct? Thank you for the suggestions.

I'd consider a tire swap to get better mpgs. I drove 13 hours each way (single day sprints) and would have enjoyed the +2mpg highway tires provide. I ran the AT in case I got some free time to explore (CA foothills area), but didn't have the time and would have been better served on the HT.
Yep, thanks! I may have to consider tire rotate before the trip.

This is a tangent from the topic, but I've never had roadside assistance. Does it only covers the vehicles I owned, my family members, or both?
Not an expert so perhaps a call to them would provide the correct and most up to date info. They have several different levels of service.

AAA Premier covers any vehicle you or your family are driving, even rental cars, your buddy's Land Rover he let you borrow for the trail, whatever.
They need to see your card and thats about it, so keep it in your wallet.

1x 200 mile tow/lifetime
unlimited one way tows for 100 miles total, basically once per break down, with some exceptions, like the shop you towed it too can not take the truck/repair and it has to go somewhere else...etc...
gas and tire repair coverage (not replacement though)..

As a Defender owner its priceless... I could do a montage of my defender on a flat bed... for various reasons. Usually I just have them tow it home so its easier to work on if something goes pear shaped... like my distributor drive gear shearing a couple of months ago..

Good to have for the worst case scenario in the cruiser, but hoping to not ever need it.

AAA Premier covers any vehicle you or your family are driving, even rental cars, your buddy's Land Rover he let you borrow for the trail, whatever.
They need to see your card and thats about it, so keep it in your wallet.

1x 200 mile tow/lifetime
unlimited one way tows for 100 miles total, basically once per break down, with some exceptions, like the shop you towed it too can not take the truck/repair and it has to go somewhere else...etc...
gas and tire repair coverage (not replacement though)..

As a Defender owner its priceless... I could do a montage of my defender on a flat bed... for various reasons. Usually I just have them tow it home so its easier to work on if something goes pear shaped... like my distributor drive gear shearing a couple of months ago..

Good to have for the worst case scenario in the cruiser, but hoping to not ever need it.
Thank you for the information. What are some questions I should be asking them? I'm thinking of Good Sam. I'm not sure what they mean by unlimited tow to their nearest "network facility". Does that mean a shop that will be able to fix my vehicle or just some temporary storage location so the vehicle can be towed to a mechanic shop?

Thank you for the information. What are some questions I should be asking them? I'm thinking of Good Sam. I'm not sure what they mean by unlimited tow to their nearest "network facility". Does that mean a shop that will be able to fix my vehicle or just some temporary storage location so the vehicle can be towed to a mechanic shop?
I have Good Sam because of their great RV coverage. If you tow, it’s worth it. For regular coverage, I’m sure AAA is fine. Good Sam tows to any place that can fix your vehicle or RV, not just temporary storage.

I have Good Sam because of their great RV coverage. If you tow, it’s worth it. For regular coverage, I’m sure AAA is fine. Good Sam tows to any place that can fix your vehicle or RV, not just temporary storage.
Awesome, thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom