What should be the Toyota Off-Road package (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well the tires are on, the sometimes hard to get 285/65R18 BFG AT's. So what I have here is what I would think Toyota would offer as there Off-Road package for the Land Cruiser

1) OME Nitrochagred shocks, 866springs, t-bars
2) Slee Diff drop
3) BFG 285/65R18

All together about $2000 + installation... off course it could be offset by not installing the running boards nor the standard roof rack. This would be all one really needs to go off road with the 100. With these simple changes you can hit most trails except for the really hard ones. And other suff like ARB bars and winchs are really automotive "jewelry"... BTW may ARB and Warn jewels are comming soon out of the paint shop.
cruz866at.JPG

Letters out! :eek:

Not sure "Bling" 18" wheels belong on the package. How about 16" steel wheels with 285/75R16s.

I'd ditch the front / rear wind deflectors too.

NMuzj100 said:
Not sure "Bling" 18" wheels belong on the package. How about 16" steel wheels with 285/75R16s.

Amen to that....... I still can't figure out why Toyota is upsizing to 18s with crows-feet style wheels. It just doesn't make any sense.

And the 18s on 2006s are painted a bright iridescent type silver, I prefer the natural aluminum look.

Well here is some resoponse.. I misspoke (was in hurry) the winch is not gonna get color matched it stays Warn-grey.

While agree 18in are not really accepted as an off-road rim size. They do "look" better to me then 16in. And they are not real bling anymore, today bling on a truck is like 22in. chromed.

No wind deflector on my hood (what your seeing is the roofline of the house in the background) I was not to thrilled with the rear one, but removing it meant holes that would not be asthetically filled with out real body work... And you know its starting to grow on my. But youre right no need to put that on either.

Sliders now that was the toughest not to do for me... because hell the make a ton of sense. But the Slee sliders for the 100 won't allow the front mud flaps, which I wanted to keep (I am sure some cutting could make it work, but I was not up to it). And second I consider sliders as more "serious" off-roading in particular more rock-crawling. While my body is left bare... its sitting like 18in of the ground. And if you're doing a trail that banging 18ins of the ground is likely you probably should be get a more agressive setupwith 35inchers and lockers. So I would not call it a basic off-road package.

Letters out is old-skool... I love teh look of the early 90's 4Runners and of course the FJ60's

Last edited:
I think the 17 inch wheel might be a good compromise; I personally don’t like the 16 in wheel either.

The white side out is a SIN.

How much harsher is the ride with the 866’s?

I like the rear spoiler, because it’s functional. If it was for looks alone, I probably would can it.

Nice job!
DMX

DMX84 said:

DMX

Just a different level of bling.:D

rzpapp said:
Sliders now that was the toughest not to do for me... because hell the make a ton of sense. But the Slee sliders for the 100 won't allow the front mud flaps, which I wanted to keep (I am sure some cutting could make it work, but I was not up to it). And second I consider sliders as more "serious" off-roading in particular more rock-crawling.
Looks great, rzpapp! I just installed my Slee LX sliders today and I would say they offer nearly as much "mud flap" protection as the original running boards. That said, I have some NEW, never installed, OEM mudflaps for sale in case anybody is interested.

DMX84 said:
I think the 17 inch wheel might be a good compromise; I personally don’t like the 16 in wheel either.

How much harsher is the ride with the 866’s?

I like the rear spoiler, because it’s functional. If it was for looks alone, I probably would can it.

Nice job!
DMX

not much difference between the 866 and stock springs ride harshness wise.

i had that idea in my mind ..

I think the best LC100 package should be :

1- 2UZ-FE with Manual tranny

2- Locker front-rear

3- bumper and side molding not colored ..

4- Tire in the back door

5- BFG all tarrein Tire

6- Fabric seat and no wood trim inside

and that all what i could think about it right now

All the sand drivers want a manual and the rockhounds have to have an auto. I guess they'll need to have actual options. I wish it was eaiser to custom order new vehicles. That is the one thing that might convince me to buy new.

EL_3grab said:
i had that idea in my mind ..

I think the best LC100 package should be :

1- 2UZ-FE with Manual tranny

2- Locker front-rear

3- bumper and side molding not colored ..

4- Tire in the back door

5- BFG all tarrein Tire

6- Fabric seat and no wood trim inside

and that all what i could think about it right now

A manual tranny would also be my top option. You can't even order a LC w/ 5spd manual in Japan anymore...you have to reverse import one for 5.46 million yen, but at least you can easily import it by just paying taxes (unlike here, where you have to meet gov't req's). It would be easier/cheaper to import the tranny, bell housing, maybe t-case, and cross-member and swap out the auto tranny. The manual tranny would require no electronics other than the connection to activate the rear backup lights, right?

Last edited:
Jim--often times the ECU is specific to AUTO or Manual transmission. I don't whether that is the case for the 100 though.

as much as I don't like the rear deflectors(nither of mine have then) they do really help keep the rear window clean

macneill said:
I'd ditch the front / rear wind deflectors too.

Jim_Chow said:
A manual tranny would also be my top option. You can't even order a LC w/ 5spd manual in Japan anymore...you have to reverse import one for 5.46 million yen, but at least you can easily import it by just paying taxes (unlike here, where you have to meet gov't req's). It would be easier/cheaper to import the tranny, bell housing, maybe t-case, and cross-member and swap out the auto tranny. The manual tranny would require no electronics other than the connection to activate the rear backup lights, right?

come here and by a brand new 2006 V8 with Manual and shipped to USA .. or you can buy used one ..

converting from auto to Manual its not that easy .. i asked a garage .. and he said will do it nearly 2000 USD with My 1FZ-FE auto UZJ100 ..

there well be some electric problem if you dont know what are you doing.. specilly in the new 5 auto .. it easyer to sell your LC100 and bay a used one with Manual

rzpapp said:
Well the tires are on, the sometimes hard to get 285/65R18 BFG AT's. So what I have here is what I would think Toyota would offer as there Off-Road package for the Land Cruiser

1) OME Nitrochagred shocks, 866springs, t-bars
2) Slee Diff drop
3) BFG 285/65R18

All together about $2000 + installation... off course it could be offset by not installing the running boards nor the standard roof rack. This would be all one really needs to go off road with the 100. With these simple changes you can hit most trails except for the really hard ones. And other suff like ARB bars and winchs are really automotive "jewelry"... BTW may ARB and Warn jewels are comming soon out of the paint shop.

Did you have your bodyside molding painted the same color as your LC or did it come that way? If it came that way what year did they start painting the bodyside molding the same color as the LC? Mine is a 99 beige but the bodyside molding has a silver strip down the middle. I'm having mine repainted Monday and may go with the beige for the entire molding, yours looks good all the same color.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom