What radiator? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Probably gonna need a new radiator for my 87. I know I could go to ccot and drop bout $400 but would rather stay under $200. Is there a good radiator out there for under $200?

DSCN0302.jpg
DSCN0303.jpg

Look up champion radiator I ordered one the fit was perfect its all aluminum and was less than 300 shipped to my door. My 60 cools a lot better

Looks to wide, maybe for an 80. But thats the correct brand.

Radiatorbarn.com was best for me. like $242.05 for a CSF shipped with lifetime warranty.

Been in for two years and working well.;)

Last edited:
Get your factory one rebuilt?

Or maybe it's beyond repair?

Look up champion radiator I ordered one the fit was perfect its all aluminum and was less than 300 shipped to my door. My 60 cools a lot better

74shovel how do you like the champion radiator?
They store is local to me.
I been looking at those for a while but don know many people that run them...
What type of outside temps have you put it through ? I run a lot of desert environment and can get pretty hot...
Let us know...

Thanks...

74shovel how do you like the champion radiator?
They store is local to me.
I been looking at those for a while but don know many people that run them...
What type of outside temps have you put it through ? I run a lot of desert environment and can get pretty hot...
Let us know...

Thanks...
I run one! It's been rock solid and 100% no cooling probs.(its 110'F here already) I dont even have a fan shroud. Plus a 'lifetime' warranty and only ~$225.

I went to extra measure to isolate it via rubber so that nothing aluminum touches metal at all.

Hopefully this will keep corrosion down and last a long time...

cheers

I bought an all aluminum Champion on Ebay earlier this year to replace a Summit Racing "universal" aluminum radiator that died in a rather short time. I like the Champion, mounts like the OEM, keeps my V8 cool even without a shroud. Just do it!

Another vote for Champion, so far I am very impressed with it.

I bought an all aluminum Champion on Ebay earlier this year to replace a Summit Racing "universal" aluminum radiator that died in a rather short time. I like the Champion, mounts like the OEM, keeps my V8 cool even without a shroud. Just do it!

Hey Lehiguy,

Did you find there's a different radiator cap on the champion?

Mine was not the same.

Any idea where to find replacement cap??

Thanks

cool..... thanks guys... !!!

I've got a very good used brass tank CSF radiator I'd be happy to get $100 for. I'm in Oregon, but shipping to GA can't be more than $100...

Last edited:
Another vote for Champion. Shipped to Texas all for under $300.00. Got it last year and ran it through the worst drought and heat wave in twenty years. Performed flawlessly!:)

I would not use a champion. My friend Marty got a crack in his, went to four radiator shops and none of them could weld aluminum. So he had to pull it and send it back. They fixed it for free, but he had three weeks of down time. He also noticed the coolant got very dirty in the <2 years he had it in.

I'm not sure if aluminum causes shorter coolant life, or maybe the rad was dirty when he installed it.

FYI, his fan clutch failed, and the engine hit 260*. He found the crack in the rad the next morning.

So my point is, Brass/copper radiators can be repaired by most any rad shops. It's not the case with aluminum radiators.

I've bought two radiators from Autozone.....I think they are spectra brand or something.. anyway they are well built and 4 core. You'll have to check the price but that's easy to do on the web site.

I would not use a champion. My friend Marty got a crack in his, went to four radiator shops and none of them could weld aluminum. So he had to pull it and send it back. They fixed it for free, but he had three weeks of down time. He also noticed the coolant got very dirty in the <2 years he had it in.

I'm not sure if aluminum causes shorter coolant life, or maybe the rad was dirty when he installed it.

FYI, his fan clutch failed, and the engine hit 260*. He found the crack in the rad the next morning.

So my point is, Brass/copper radiators can be repaired by most any rad shops. It's not the case with aluminum radiators.

oh ya I'm pretty sure the aluminum is re-build-able too... maybe the shops didint have anyone capable.

oh ya I'm pretty sure the aluminum is re-build-able too... maybe the shops didint have anyone capable.

Well, thats my point! If the shop does have a TIG welder(most rad shops dont), and someone with enough skill to use it.

Then your ok.

Good news...it appears that the rad's not the problem. It appears to be the cap. The gasket is almost non-existent. That's called Clean Living:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom