What parts do you take for your vehicle on trips? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Would love to hear what you guys take on trips for spare parts for your vehicles (or trailers). Belts,hoses, plugs, oil, antifreeze, grease, bearings, etc.

For reference, list what vehicle you have. I know some are prone to certain things. If you're a hundy owner, I might copy you.:D

I drive a high mileage 1997 80 series (204,xxx miles) so I take a few more extras than some may take in newer, lower mileage vehicles. If your vehicle is in good condition to begin with and regular pre-trip maintenance is performed the less likely you'll be working on it on the trail. I just got back from a 750mile weekend trip with 100miles of forest service roads and never touch any tools or fluids.

That being said, my basic tool chest always includes:
-Full metric socket & box end wrench set
-assorted hammers, pliers, And screw drivers
-electrical wire and wiring tools and connectors
-24" of fuel line
-lower radiator hose
-coolant hose and hose clamps
-short drive engine belt (bypasses a/c compressor in case of failure, and also provides spare serpentine belt)
-engine fluids

Curious of the short drive belt
Compressor drive is separate of alt/water pump

100 Series
Belt
Idler Pulley
Tensioner Pulley
**Coil Packs** the more the better
Extra Heater Hose T's
5/8" heater hose 3ft
Engine Oil
Trans Fluid
Gear Oil
Assortment of Tools
Wire
Heat shrink
JB QuickWeld and Waterweld
Duct Tape
Tarp or old blanket to lay on under the truck
First Aid Kit
Recovery Kit

**Make sure you remove the OEM Wheel Locks BEFORE you hit the road**

I figured beer was a given with this group but it is always nice to stash a Bonus 6pk somewhere in the truck.

If wheeling is the destination, I pack everything I've got for spares. Everybody's kit will differ based on how hard you plan to beat the rig.

FJC
CV assembly x2
Tie rod inner/outer x2
Rear LCA/UCA
Unit bearing (pre-assembled) x2
Gear Oil/Motor oil
Rear drive shaft
Rear axle shaft (semifloat, wouldn't be a trail fix, but would have the part on hand)
Main toolbox (all drives/sockets-including axle nut, impact airgun)
Primary tool bag (wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, etc.)
Secondary tool bag (punches, files, air fittings, grease gun)
Electrical toolbox (extra wire, relays, connectors and tools)
Hi-lift inside truck (disassembled, but out of the elements)

[edit] forgot that small red duffle holds small factory parts like shock mount bolts, pulleys, serp belt, and axle seals.

My tool kit lives in my truck, but I pack the spares for out of state trips. I built a platform for the rear cargo area and all of the above* fits below the platform and I pack gear on top of the platform.

*The bigger items like drive shaft and rear axles ride in the trailer. I'm working on building a spare 3rd member for events like Round Up, SCC or Mardi Krawl.

This picture shows most of my kit on the garage floor when I had to remove the entire rear cargo area panels to get to a errant weldnut for my roof rack a couple years ago.
2015-04_roofrack (10).jpg

Last edited:
Back in the day when I tried to break stuff I carried all the stuff Rick carried but left it on the trailer. Hauling a bunch of weight when on the trail often is the reason people break.

Back in the day when I tried to break stuff I carried all the stuff Rick carried but left it on the trailer. Hauling a bunch of weight when on the trail often is the reason people break.
I do offload a fair amount to the trailer once we get camp setup, especially at OHV parks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom