What oil to use? '78 Bj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,
would anyone be able to tell me what engine oil they would reccomend i use in my 1978 Bj40. Currently it has Penrite 20W-60 in it. Also, does anyone know how many litres they take? Thanks

Ryan

Penrite HPR Diesel is called 20W/60, But it is more like 25W/60. ;)
I'm currently using Valvoline Super Diesel 15W/40 CH-4, Which is normally $69.95 for 20 Litres at Super Cheap Auto, But I went on 25% off day. :)

Capacity is 5.8 Litres

20W60, 15W/40, its all so confusing, which one do they reccomend you use in a BJ40? What does it all mean? I thought thicker would be better. Im not even sure when i should be changing my oil. My bj40 only gets started once every month or so, so i change the oil based on time, more than anything else.

Any advice?

The Manual says to use SAE30, 15W/40 or 20W/50.

I change Engine Oil and Filter(Z9, Could use a Z161X if you want better filtration ;)) every 5,000km or 3 months, Which ever is first.

My bj40 only gets started once every month or so, so i change the oil based on time, more than anything else.
As it sits for a long time it may be worth using a Synthetic or Semi-Synthetic Oil Such as Penrite HPR Diesel or HPR Light Diesel. - Semi-Synthetic Oils ;)

If your B is long in the tooth and the Temperature never gets below 5 degrees Celcius, Then HPR Diesel is fine(Almost perfect :D).
If your B is in good condition or the Temperature gets below 5 degrees Celcius, Then HPR Light Diesel is a very good choice. :cheers:

how can the manual say to use 3 different types of oils? or are they all the same thing?
All the Oil are different. You select one of those Oils, That you think is the best for your use.

Thanks Jonathon, I appreciate it mate. I'll go to super cheap now and get some. Thanks again!

I've been using castrol 15w-40 for the past 4 years with no problems, its cheaper then the hpr stuff for sure, especially when changing the oil regularly (mine uses 11.5 litres at a time) I was under the impression that 15w-40 was for a different temp range than 20w-60. And that the heavier oil could be used to help pressure problems in worn engines. Change intervals you'd probably get away with much longer periods than 3 months safely. Like a year probably wouldn't phase me, especially if i only drove it like 12 times. as long as you dont stretch the kilometres too far in that time. A ryco z9 is good too. - only $5.50

i'm keen to dazz, but i gotta get my 40's drive shaft back in order. and maybe fix up the 45 again, and after the last mishap, i don't think i'd take the 45.

Anyone ever use Lucas oil treatment? At work we had a grader putting 480 parts per million of metal in the final drives every oil change switched to Lucas oil additive dropped it to 75 parrts per million. We use it in all of our equiptment, seems to be a really great product. We use it in our diesel and gas engines.

yep, we were using lucas upper head lube?? is it? in the grader, both dozers and the old merc truck for years. It was the only thing keeping that truck running. I'm very serious. It would not run without it.

And the gearbox stuff to stop that whine in the gearbox and t/case in my car.

[quote author=Ky - Hoosier link=board=1;threadid=5533;start=msg43904#msg43904 date=1064277145]
Anyone ever use Lucas oil treatment? At work we had a grader putting 480 parts per million of metal in the final drives every oil change switched to Lucas oil additive dropped it to 75 parrts per million. We use it in all of our equiptment, seems to be a really great product. We use it in our diesel and gas engines.
[/quote]
Used it in my F for awhile to supress oil pressure problems, worked for awhile too, until I switched to 20w 50. My mechanic is a firm believer in that stuff.

Whats happening with our trip to Toolangi I'm still keen....Dazz
I'm still keen. :cheers:
Just need to get a front Propellor Shaft and Universal Joints and get the Clutch done. :whoops:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom