What is this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New LX470 owner here - I am working on getting my newly-acquired 06 LX470 back to "stock" and in great shape. Was working on the back spoiler (which was loose from PO)...but noticed this antenna (?). It appears factory--but has some odd, un-elegant wiring. Does anyone know what this is for? I assume satelite--either NAV or sat. radio...but curious if anyone knows specific purpose? Secondarily, whether anyone has removed it?

2019-08-22 18.32.17.jpg

Doesn't look factory to me. Aftermarket GPS I would guess.

Just noticed you asked about removing it also. That depends entirely on whether or not you're using whatever it's connected to or not. If it is a navigation antenna, and the PO put in an aftermarket HU with Nav you would obviously not want to remove it but you could relocate it if you don't like it. Same goes for satellite radio. If you have neither then assuming it's just attached magnetically pull it off carefully and trace out the wiring that goes with it (or cut it off and tuck it where it will no longer be visible).

If it's satellite radio theres a module near the rear ac behind the kick panel. There should also be a ridiculously long harness connecting it to the radio.

Mine has that too, it’s a satellite radio antenna. I cut the wire right at the antenna. Pulled out the excess as far as I could without doing the whole length of the truck and cut it.

Thanks everyone for all the input! Spike555 - once you cut it, did it cause any error messages/etc on the screen interface?

My bet is that if you pull your center console and/or your head unit/nav area, you'll see an aftermarket XM module tucked in there that's been added to your original factory system via a parallel wiring harness. That antenna is connected to that module. Cutting the wire attached to the antenna won't give you any error messages. If you tab through the input options on your head unit, does "Sat" or "XM" or anything like that come up? it's usually tied in with your CD/Disc option. If it it does, you definitely have an aftermarket satellite module.

New LX470 owner here - I am working on getting my newly-acquired 06 LX470 back to "stock" and in great shape. Was working on the back spoiler (which was loose from PO)...but noticed this antenna (?). It appears factory--but has some odd, un-elegant wiring. Does anyone know what this is for? I assume satelite--either NAV or sat. radio...but curious if anyone knows specific purpose? Secondarily, whether anyone has removed it?

View attachment 2064806
I sold Lexus in ‘06 and ‘07. That looks just like the dealer installed antenna for Sirius XM.

My bet is that if you pull your center console and/or your head unit/nav area, you'll see an aftermarket XM module tucked in there that's been added to your original factory system via a parallel wiring harness. That antenna is connected to that module. Cutting the wire attached to the antenna won't give you any error messages. If you tab through the input options on your head unit, does "Sat" or "XM" or anything like that come up? it's usually tied in with your CD/Disc option. If it it does, you definitely have an aftermarket satellite module.
Oddly enough, the head unit features an option for "AM/SAT" (which toggles between the two; then separate buttons of course for FM, DISC)...given the original "sat" printed on the HU, I figured that satellite receiver was original equipment. Will do some more digging around to see what's in there.

Oddly enough, the head unit features an option for "AM/SAT" (which toggles between the two; then separate buttons of course for FM, DISC)...given the original "sat" printed on the HU, I figured that satellite receiver was original equipment. Will do some more digging around to see what's in there.

I may have jumped the gun.. was just going by my '05 LX470. As another poster above said, it's entirely possible that the satellite radio was incorporated as factory in '06... it wasn't in '05, and what I described is what I found on my truck when I bought it. My apologies for muddying the waters..

Did you figure this out?

Was noticing my '06 LX has the AM/SAT button, but if I push the button multiple times, SAT never comes up. Don't know if it's a bad module, or if it just doesn't have the SAT feature.

I do have the shark-fin antenna that's likely serving as GPS and/or SAT antenna...so it makes me wonder even more.

Did you figure this out?

Was noticing my '06 LX has the AM/SAT button, but if I push the button multiple times, SAT never comes up. Don't know if it's a bad module, or if it just doesn't have the SAT feature.

I do have the shark-fin antenna that's likely serving as GPS and/or SAT antenna...so it makes me wonder even more.

Not definitively - I do have satellite radio working well (through that AM/SAT button), and given they could be linked I did not want to risk cutting the wire to remove the fin as part of my "return to original" efforts on the car. So, just left things as-is vs. peeling back the onion. In my case however a prior owner definitely did some tinkering with the audio system, so will be curious what you end up doing.

I was just wondering the same on my 2005 TLC. I have the Sat/AM button as well. Will be following.

dthe head units all were set up to work with the xm add on, dosnt mean that it was installed. it wont come up if it wasn't installed, cant use what isn't there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom