What is the price of a LJ70? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was wondering about the price of a very well maintained LJ70 in the US. With a 2L-T engine.

How much is a good price for the following vehicle:

- 1988 (I guess) LJ70
- Steering on the USA-Europe side of vehicle
- 2L-T engine
- 5 speed manual

The chassis has been taken off the frame and rebuilt. Wherever there was rust, it was cut and welded with original panels (where possible) or sheet metal welded. Chassis was painted completely.

Frame was cleaned, scrubbed, primed and painted with high resistance coating. Wherever there were possible future weak points all was welded and reinforced.

While there was easy access to the engine, it was looked into and any parts out of spec were replaced.

All was put together and now runs smooth. A very good overall condition. Stock, no mods.

How much should somebody want to pay for this. I am asking because a friend is dying to get a diesel but he knows nothing about the value of such a truck.

I hate to dissapoint you, but there were never any LJ 70 sold in the US.

But from your description i would say around 4000 to 5000 Euros if they've done a good job and no hiding rust, say painted over rust and used excessive bondo.

HTH

Mark

You are sure it is a 2l-T? cause in Canada we only got the 3B diesel BJ70, no LJ's and the USA got none of those vehicles. Also that vehicle is newer than 25yrs the USA rule for importing. So if it is an LJ it might be a grey import.

Putting a price on them is difficult because of the facts Brownbear pointed out.

Any landcruiser diesel ,particuarly the 70 series sells for 3-4 times more in the US than countries where they were normally sold.

They are not that good IMO.
For that money I would rather have a FZJ80 or a 60 and do a diesel conversion.

AREN'T THE LJ70 ALSO CALLED BUNDERA? I HAVE AN 85 LJ70 WITH 2L FROM FRANCE BUT BROUGHT TO CANADA & i PAID $3000

There's a 1988 LJ70 for sale near Montreal. Imported from Germany. The guy ask 15 000$Cdn (About 12 300$US). It's been for sale since 5 month now... Can give you an idea.

If it was a BJ, the price would be OK to me. But a LJ has smaller axle and the 2-LT don't seem as reliable as the 3B. Personnaly, I wouldn't buy a LJ.

As RoscoFJ73 says, it's rough setting a price on those trucks.

If it was a BJ, the price would be OK to me. But a LJ has smaller axle and the 2-LT don't seem as reliable as the 3B. Personnaly, I wouldn't buy a LJ.

The LJs have a far superior suspension design, are somewhat comfortable and get a lot of traction in the rough or slippery stuff. The gearing is great for offraoding. I would take one any day over a BJ70 for offroading, if a lot of road miles are a concern neither will be great in stock form anyway.
The LJ70 allowed me to learn that being slow can actually be enjoyable. Not that I had the choice anyway :doh:

The LJs have a far superior suspension design, are somewhat comfortable and get a lot of traction in the rough or slippery stuff. The gearing is great for offraoding. I would take one any day over a BJ70 for offroading, if a lot of road miles are a concern neither will be great in stock form anyway.
The LJ70 allowed me to learn that being slow can actually be enjoyable. Not that I had the choice anyway :doh:

I agree on the suspension. I agree on the off-road ability too. What I should have mention is that I never keep my off-roader stock. I wouldn't run 36" tires on LJ axles but would on BJ axles with aftermarket HD CVJoint.

The LJ is a real good truck but not for what I do.

Sorry if you tought that I was saying that LJ are bad trucks.

1978 lj70

Hi have an LJ70 with pappers that says it´s a 1978.....
and i havent a single complaint. here in sweden if a vehicle survives thirty year then you dont have to pay roadtax....
thingk the byrokrat that filled in the pappers when imported from denmark was a little tired.mabe something to sell to the US??

ummm, why would you not run 36s on a LJ axle?
i see mini trucks with tires that big all the time with little side effects. it is the POWER and the right foot that breaks things, not the size of the tire. with a LJ the LAST thing you need to worry about is too much power...

another bonus, you have better ground clearence with a LJ than you do with a full size 70 series sharing the same tire size...

i see mini trucks with tires that big all the time with little side effects.

I didn't said it can't. I said I won't. There's people running 44" on Dana 44, 36" on dana 30 and 35" on Suzuki Axle. I even seen a Full Sized Bronco on 44" with front Dana 30 and a 460 engine (7.4L)...

it is the POWER and the right foot that breaks things, not the size of the tire.

It's the combination of Power, driving style and the tire size that breaks things. Don't neglect the tire size, it is an important data. Front locker is also to be considered.

another bonus, you have better ground clearence with a LJ than you do with a full size 70 series sharing the same tire size...

I don't mind having an inche less of ground clearance when I don't worry about my axle shaft, axle housing.... The clearance with 36" would be enough for me.

ummm, why would you not run 36s on a LJ axle?

Because when I'm in the middle of nowhere in an extreme rock crawling, mud bogging, torrent crossing trail, I want my vehicule to be as tough and reliable as possible.

I have some bad memories of pulling out of an extreme trail a Toyota Mini Truck in 35" and a Land Rover in 33" after axle shaft and differencial faillure. My rear end cross member has suffer in those recoveries. I ride some trails that are real challenge even with the Super Swamper Tires and lockers both end.

I've broke one birfield and one Marfield on the trail and it's not a fun thing to fix in the trail. I (almost) alway keep a spare birfield and a spare front short axle shaft in my truck but I don't want to have to use them.

I'm not telling you not to do it. It's a personal choice. Run 36" on mini-truck axle if you feel so. That's all about the usage you make of your truck. It will take most of them.

My philosophy is : tough trail? Tough truck! That's why I own two Land Cruiser HD :D . The people who know me, know that I alway choose the "overkill" solution. My usual trail partners ride full sized US trucks with 1-ton axle front and rear. Their tires are 38" to 40".

ENJOY YOUR RIDE! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom