What is the cost of ownership of 1st gen GX470? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The truth is most people on this forum, whether its 120 , 80 , or any other series, do way more maintenance then what is needed. You could say there is a more carpet bomb approach vs precision strike. For instance, lets say a timing belt job. Everyone knows that the timing belt will explode as soon as it reaches 90,001 miles. So the timing belt job gets done, along with a new radiator because you were in there. Since we're doing a new radiator we may as well replace the hoses. But, why stop at just those hoses, because now the rest of the heater lines and what not can be replaced since the coolant is out anyways. $500 later you have replaced the $30 timing belt !

I used the same approach when doing AC on both of my 80 series. The system had leaked down and the low pressure sensor wouldn't allow the compressor to engage. The most likely culprit in an old system is the schraeder valves. They cost about $3 for a set. I went ahead and replaced them, along with new compressor top seal, O-rings at every connection, new expansion valve, new drier, etc. $200 later I had taken care of those schraeder valves.

So that's one approach towards vehicle maintenance. I think most people are doing it for shear peace of mind because they are so worried about a breakdown when they are on trail or family vacation. The truth is these vehicles will take horrible amounts of punishment and survive. One need look no further than CNN for proof. Tell me if you've ever seen media footage that goes something like this - 10 terrorists with machine guns and an AA mounted in the back of 1980's hi lux ? How much maintenance do you think that "technical" gets on a yearly basis ? My father is another shining example of the "if it ain't broke" maintenance method. He drove an 87 Toyota truck for much of my young life and through my high school years. His particular model was the factory turbocharged 4cyl. Somewhere around the 200k mile mark the turbo went out. Since they were over a $1000 to replace he decided to just remove it and have a new downpipe fitted. I think he sold the truck at the 300k mile mark and it still ran like a top. I guarantee you he never did anything more preventative than an oil change.

With our recent GX purchase I decided I was going to be more reasonable about my maintenance approach. I eyeballed all the suspension components to make sure nothing was going to fly off. Changed the oil over to my favorite synthetic. Checked the plugs and decided they were good enough for another 10-20k miles. The timing belt had been done at 90k and the truck already had a new radiator and red coolant. Sometime this week I will slide under there and grease the drive shafts up. I will eventually bleed the brakes and freshen up the fluid in there just because its cheap and can have a huge impact on braking performance. Other than that we plan to just drive the thing and enjoy.

half k cruiser, I agree, but there are things that you replace, because you are there. My friend just did the TB service, A) because there was no record of it, B)no sticker and C) he good at this and I was visiting him. Now with the TB, its smart to replace the water pump, it came with the TB kit and the O-rings, gaskets, tension pulley, because it's a lot of work to replace any of these parts again. Had the belt been replaced, it had and water pump with an unknown make, and they silicon the O-rings and gaskets and hoses to seal the system instead of replacing them. Radiator was not going to be replaced, until we saw a small amount of coolant at the bottom two corners. everything else looked good and was left alone. Pull a couple of plugs, they looked really good, so not replaced.
I also grease everything, u-joint, drive shafts, trailing arms, ball joints every 5K with an oil change, because it makes all of those parts last longer.
Had a boot leaking, not too bad, but no tears or cuts, so we just added a better clamp, why change axles or boots if not needed.
My truck only has 150K, but because of the unknown and the timing of where I was, it was done again and will again be done around 90-100K miles.
I also did a high output Alternator while doing this, everything apart, easies time to do it. With off road at slow speeds, thought it was a good add on with the fridge and other stuff.

ON a side note and going along with what half k cruiser said, my girlfriend old 2005 4 runner v-8, who her daughter drives, has had only oil changes done and general maintenance, first timing belt, water pump, etc and front axles was at 190K miles because I knew it need to be done, the belt looked great. this truck gets driven on a lot of forest roads, back dirt road, street and in the snow, just keeps on going (knock on wood).

It also seems that one of my Radflo rear shocks is already starting to seep oil, at this point I will keep an eye on it and see just how bad it is, not the best timing for me. Oh for anyone interested, they have about 30K miles on them, some of it fast hard off road running. I will rebuild both rears at the same time.

Last edited:
So far on my used 2008 now with 82k miles, I have spent $80 on an oil change and dealer recommended $6000 of repairs for seeping front axles and steering rack leak. Gonna read-band the cv boots and "mcgeiverer" the tear in the steering rack boot.

Steering rack boots are dust covers. If they are wet you need a rack

Steering rack boots are dust covers. If they are wet you need a rack

I could've sworn that someone told me that some seeping was normal (or not uncommon) for the rack. My boots are split and look like they may have been leaked on, but I don't have to add fluid so maybe it's not bad yet. :p

If that's the case though, I should start planning a CVJ purchase.

Lexus is a great company. I just got a call from the Lexus dealer that they got my black dashboard in and I'm due for a free replacement on Tuesday. Free loaner while they take a day or two to fix.

They also did the Auto Club (AAA) 40-point inspection, oil and filter change, tire rotation, and car wash for $40 (AAA special promotion). Nice service for a 14 year old 2003 GX470.

Lexus is a great company. I just got a call from the Lexus dealer that they got my black dashboard in and I'm due for a free replacement on Tuesday. Free loaner while they take a day or two to fix.

They also did the Auto Club (AAA) 40-point inspection, oil and filter change, tire rotation, and car wash for $40 (AAA special promotion). Nice service for a 14 year old 2003 GX470.

My lexus dealer (Stevens Creek Lexus) has french pastries and gourmet coffee. Donuts will not do! They hand washed my car. But when you have to pay you'll know why they treat you so well.

They also have to annoying habit of telling me I have non-stock parts on my GX (I have OME lift and 34" KO2s) and offer to "fix" it for me, i.e. set it back to stock. They always do a safety check and set my tires to factory 33 psi. I have to tell them....put them back to 45 psi. Minor problems for a couple of croissants while I wait.

My Lexus dealership hand washes my GX for me. They love it when I roll in with the GX for the looks it gets. The techs come out to ask what I did to it lately. They seem to do a lot more for me since I also bought a car there vs. just rolling in with an older used Lexus with a lift :p

So far on my used 2008 now with 82k miles, I have spent $80 on an oil change and dealer recommended $6000 of repairs for seeping front axles and steering rack leak. Gonna read-band the cv boots and "mcgeiverer" the tear in the steering rack boot.

Us too. While doing the dash service we did s 150 k service and got a $6 laundry list of "suggested" things needing attention.
Nothing need emergency attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom