What is the correct lug nut to use on a 95 fzj80?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It will depend on the type of rim on your rig...on the 95 most likely the shank type lugs (one on the left - sample pic), most earlier rims 93-94 had the acorn (lug centric) type. IIRC the shank will not fit into a acorn style rim and the acorn style rims will have the steel inserts.
LC lugs.jpg

Last edited:
I'm missing a couple shank type lugs and one lock lug. I'd like OEM parts for my 95. Do I have to go thru the dealer to get replacements or is there a better place?

Skippingrock,

Welcome to mud... If you want to go OEM I think CDan at American Toyota (i'm not affiliated, although I wish I was ;) )can help you here... You might have heard of him and beno. They are considered a major source of parts and sound advise here at mud. Nice people with great deal of knowledge too. I would give them a call and see how can they help you...

:cheers:

I've gotten lugnuts for free from the dealership. Well, almost. I brought in a box of donuts, they gave me a bag full of them.

I just paid $5.68 each (got 6) from the stealer. Does seem steep but hey, that's why they are called a stealership.

Anyone have any info on black ones? :hillbilly:

I've been thinking about blacking-out the rims over the summer and have heard of black ones before. I assume just painting OEM with a rattle can or the sort would just scrap right off when installing them/uninstalling them?

I rattled can mine, prep and clean with klean strip phosphoric prep & etch, a nice coat of primer, and paint. Holding up so far after a year...check post #3

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but it was the most pertinent I found in the search.

I just had my wheels come back from the powder coater and I went to install them. It looks like mine are the style with the steel conical inserts in the wheels, but on one of the wheels, five of the six inserts are missing.

Does anyone know where to get some more inserts? I don't see them on the parts diagrams I've seen.

Also, I should be using the conical nuts since I don't have the washer face on the wheels, right? In one of the photos below, the shank-style nuts do not sit flush with the wheel.

Wheel missing inserts
View media item 76797
Shank-style nut not seating properly
View media item 76796
One of the wheels with all the inserts
View media item 76798

I would not use a wheel that had 5 of 6 inserts fail. That points to a defective or misused wheel.

I am not aware of any conical inserts in existence. I don't know much of anything, so don't take my word.

If the wheel is made to work with a conical type of lug nut, than all you need it the right lug nut.
If the wheel is the flat type, than use the later model lug nuts.

I got two sets of wheels and tires (33'' and 35") but each set requires different lug nuts because they came from different year model.
In the classified/part-out section I found a local member selling the correct lug nuts for my second set. I think it came out to roughly $0.25/nut.

I would not use a wheel that had 5 of 6 inserts fail. That points to a defective or misused wheel.

Thanks. I didn't know if they were just a press fit thing and had wiggled out; sounds like a bigger issue. I'll move that wheel to the spare until I can find a replacement and get it powder coated too.

Last edited:
Look on the floor at the powder coated for the inserts.

The oven process probably heater up enough that the two metals expanded at a different rate and they popped out.

Either way, that's a failure and you need a different rim.

You definitely need the acorn style nut shown in the middle of the picture of Dragos' nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom