What is the correct Bump Stop size??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, soo I put on my J spring lift with Mr Gasket 1inch spacers up front. Sooo the big question is what size bump stops do I use? I just got in the mail from MAF the four inch drops for the bump stops but those look WAY to long???? Can anyone give me some advice, because I am putting these on tonight due to in the morning my 315/75/16 BFG Muds are being put on. Thanks and hope to hear from someone on this soon, Chans

What shocks are you running? You don't HAVE to have dropped bump stops to run the tires. Only if you plan to flex it out right away.

I am running the the whole J spring set up that includes the extended shocks....so it will flex pretty darn good. Any idea on what size bump stop? If the 4 inch are to big I want to send them back ASAP and order the 2 inch drops, problem is, they only give you 24 hours for the return thing to get full price..........or atleast thats what the paper says that was in the box when I opend it up :rolleyes:

I'm running 2" drops with my J springs and L shocks and they work fine. And I'm stuffing 36's. I do have 20mm of trim packers though.

To the extent that it helps, the real question is how tall do the bumpstops need to be to prevent the shocks from being completely compressed. The springs, spacers, and tires don't really matter.

Technically you need about 1.5" bumpstop to prevent the L's from being overcompressed on a 80. However that does not look at tire size & clearance. You need to push you axle all the way up (forklift or ramp) and then measure what size bumpstop you need to avoid the tire from rubbing. Taking into account that trail flex is not a 1:1 with shop flex. So if you measure 4" in the shop, you probably need 5"

So, if your purpose is to avoid ripping flares of and the such, only you can determine that once you have your tires / wheel combo on the truck. If you only want to make sure you don't trash the shocks, then 1.5" is ok.

Also, this need to be done for front and rear .

Thanks for everyones reply. I am getting the tires on today and I will see if the 4 inch bump stops I have are going to be to big or to small. Thanks again, Chans :beer:

You need to push you axle all the way up (forklift or ramp) and then measure what size bumpstop you need to avoid the tire from rubbing.

Not having a forklift or ramp handy at my shop, I find the easiest way is to remove the spring and jack that side of the axle up under the shock mount, when the tire hits or the shock bottoms out measure from the stop to the axle and add an inch or so, that's how long the stop extension needs to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom